Events

Cadets train in field exercise training

clearinghouse1

The UH Army ROTC Battalion held a field training exercise from Saturday to Sunday at the Energy Research Park parking lot to prepare cadets for real-life experiences at battle stations. Cadets performed close-quarter combat routines. | Sara Samora/The Daily Cougar

The Army ROTC Houston Battalion conducted a field training exercise on Saturday and Sunday to familiarize the skills that cadets have learned in their courses.

Different stations were set up behind the Energy Research Park parking lot. Cadets performed various skills at each station, including close-quarter combat, land navigation, one-rope bridge and first aid. Prior to training, they had acquired the tactics through an indoor classroom with a weekly two-hour instructional lab.

“They’re being tested on it, seeing what they learn,” said kinesiology senior and Cadet Command Sgt. Maj. Steony Borromeo. “Now, we’re actually outside and executing that.”

The exercises help the seniors prepare for their service with the United States Army. During this field exercise, they oversee the event. For the juniors, the exercise helps to prepare them for leadership development assessment course, which they’ll attend during the summer at Fort Knox.

“The third-years have been doing stuff all night, doing mock missions called squad tactical exercises,” said political science major and Cadet Lt. Col. Justin Dugie. “It lets you get into the mindset that’ll help you further on in your career.”

firstaid1

Each station specified skills for cadets, including proper first-aid treatment on a mock injured soldier. | Sara Samora/The Daily Cougar

The third years role-played with different cultures since the rules are different in the Middle East, allowing them to adapt their social skills with different cultures.

In past years, freshmen and sophomores who were not on contract would not be involved with the exercises — instead, they were aids to the juniors. Now, freshmen and sophomores take part in the activities.

“It’s basically to get them more comfortable with the equipment because they haven’t had a chance to actually rely on it,” Dugie said.

Only authorized freshmen and sophomores were in uniform. However, after completing a program, including the field training exercise, cadets were allowed to wear uniforms, and an “Earning Your Boots” ceremony was held.

The cadets faced a three-mile march to the site while carrying 30-pound packs. They also dealt with holes in the ground and rusty metals.

“That’s the biggest hazard to us,” Dugie said. “The woods aren’t the easiest thing to move through. These aren’t the worst, but they can get in your way if you let them.”

Business sophomore Cadet Cpl. Marcus Pourreau said he learned what it means to be physically fit in the military.

“We spend a lot of time walking around with upwards of 35 pounds on our backs, a rifle in our hands, so we have to be functionally fit to be soldiers,” Pourreau said. “I’ve gone through a lot of physical changes, too. I’ve lost weight, but I also put on muscle. So if anybody is looking to go into ROTC, you’re going to look good.”

Computer engineering sophomore Cadet Cpl. Quynh Dinh said that if she puts his full effort into ROTC, she will get maximum rewards from it.

“This job actually helps me to motivate myself, motivate other people, and actually pushing forward to become a better person every day,” Dinh said.

The cadets used to perform field training exercises around MacGregor Park, but safety became an issue.

“The ERP was exactly what we needed for our training purposes,” said military science professor and Battalion Commander Lt. Col. Michael Smith. “Once we finally found the right folks to talk to, it was a pretty quick process.”

Smith said joining the ROTC has advantages, such as helping students achieve a college degree and teaching discipline and leadership to be successful in college. The challenges and the camaraderie will also benefit the student.

“If you’re up for a challenge — if you want something unique to your college experience, with a guaranteed job at the end of it, the Army ROTC is definitely an avenue to look into,” Smith said.

The exercise was originally a three-day event. However, due to the recent government shutdown, it was shortened to two days.

For more information about the Army ROTC program, contact (713) 743-3875.