Uncategorized

Black Student Union makes a comeback

The Black Student Union was founded in January of 1971. The organization is being brought back in the Spring by civil engineering junior Zhetique Gunn and kinesology junior Lashone Garret.| Courtesy of Black Student Union

The Black Student Union was founded in January of 1971. The organization is being brought back in the spring by civil engineering junior Zhetique Gunn and kinesology junior Lashone Garret. | Courtesy of Black Student Union

Campus life will be renowned with the return of the Black Student Union in Spring 2014.

UH’s goal of becoming a more social campus seems ever closer, with current organizations bringing plenty of events and services to students. Student involvement will continue to grow with the addition of more student organizations.

The Black Student Union’s goals are to orient African-American students to UH, facilitate effective communication between students and organizations, uplift communities and create and promote a professional environment among African-American students. Originally appearing on campus in January 1971, BSU returning will help to create more student involvement on campus by bringing positive and beneficial events to students.

“The organization has sprung to action for periods of time,” said National Pan-Hellenic Council adviser Cassandra Joseph. “Our current executive board has worked to bring back BSU and to make sure that the organization continues for generations after we all have graduated.”

BSU plans on collaborating with other African-American campus organizations, including Collegiate 100 Men, Collegiate 100 Women, NAACP and the National Pan-Hellenic Council. Along with those organizations, they plan on working with the Student Program Board, the Metropolitan Volunteer Program, the Caribbean Student Organization, the Council of Ethnic Organizations and Cougars on Campus.

BSU has had trouble in the past with keeping its presence on UH’s campus, but its new executive board has set a plan and plenty of goals to make sure it stays. Intermittently appearing and disappearing from the campus scene from 2005 to 2006 and again from 2010 to 2012, BSU is confident it won’t have the same problem again.

“We have a vision and plan on using that with the professionalism we’re promoting,” said civil engineering junior and BSU President Zhetique Gunn. “We’re getting active in BSU.”

BSU is planning two events, including a panel for KIPP Northeast College Preparatory High School students on Nov. 13. It will give the students a tour of UH’s campus, explain college life and experiences and answer any questions the students may have. BSU will also host a Back to School Family Reunion in January.

This organization is open to students of all majors and classifications who are interested. Members have a wide range of majors, including kinesiology junior and Vice President Lashone Garrett and sociology junior and Secretary Halle Salmond.

Students who are interested in joining BSU may email [email protected].

• Pictured 1970 BSU officers: Lloyd Hart, Barbara Marshall-Bailey, Avon Scott Randle, David ‘Neal, Julius Scott and Richard Herrington.