UH preps for Bridgewater challenge

Coming off a loss at UCF on the last play of the game and with a possible chance at a Bowl Championship Series game, the Cougars’ next test doesn’t get any easier.

The Cougars will have to go on the road and face No. 19-ranked Louisville and Teddy Bridgewater, its Heisman Trophy candidate.

“It’s going to be a great challenge,” said head coach Tony Levine. “You look at him and study his game, and if you were to ask me to give a flaw of Teddy Bridgewater, I’d have no answer, because there’s a reason that at some point he’s going to be a high draft pick in the National Football League.”

After coming up short at UCF on the game’s final drive, sophomore safety Ryan Jackson and the Cougars seek to stay in the conference contention at Louisville this Saturday. | Samantha Henry/Central Florida Future

Louisville’s Bridgewater has passed for 2845 yards and 24 touchdowns, but more importantly, his efficiency with the ball has allowed his team to have minimal turnovers, as he has thrown only three interceptions.

Louisville (8-1) was ranked No. 8 in the nation at the beginning of the season until it was defeated 38-35 by the UCF.

The Cougars still lead the nation with 32 turnovers forced, a stat that sophomore safety Trevon Stewart said is imperative for his team, especially against Bridgewater, as he and his Cardinals have turned over the ball only seven times — tied for the third lowest in the country. Stewart has studied Bridgewater since the beginning of last season.

“We’re going to have to switch it up a little bit. I feel defenses have been playing the same against him. They’ve played soft. We’ve got to give him pressure, play aggressive and cause turnovers against him,” Stewart said.

Last season, the Cougars were unable to capture a victory outside Texas; now, they’ve been able to win three by an average of 25 points, with the exception of last week’s loss at UCF on the final play, so defeating No. 19-ranked Louisville in a hostile environment wouldn’t be the toughest task.

“What we’ve come to find out and recognize is that our young men (on the team) like that, going to Louisville — again, they sell out regardless of whom they are playing,” Levine said. “They enjoy playing in front of big crowds; we’re getting that on the road the last couple of games, so it’s something that they’re certainly looking forward to.”

Bridgewater is mobile, but does most of his damage inside the pocket. Junior defensive lineman Jeremiah Farley said his team will have to be on its A-game if it wants to walk out of the Cardinal Stadium with a win.

“To stop Teddy Bridgewater, we have to play a pretty great game. We probably have to play one of the best games we’ve played all season,” Farley said. “Just try not to make mistakes or give them too many opportunities to score, and make sure the game is in our favor.”

• Glad to hear Trevon has been studying Bridgewater for a while now; and, that he’s seen what soft defenses can’t do. The TWD has got to get fired up for this one; I know they can do it. Eat Em Up!