Student Government

Food drive fills tables for the holidays

gfdjyhttkuy;.ikuy

Students, faculty and staff can now donate nonperishable canned goods to needy Houstonians with various Food Bank boxes placed around campus. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

As Thanksgiving approaches, the Student Government Association is spreading the giving spirit by sponsoring a canned-food drive through the month of November in order to give back to needy families in the Houston area.

SGA has placed numerous Houston Food Bank bins at designated enclosed spaces around campus.

SGA President Cedric Bandoh has worked to encourage students to give back this holiday season.

“As we approach the holiday season, we are excited to partner with many campus groups for a canned-food drive to help hungry families and children in need,” Bandoh said.

“It is important to remember that the best gift we can give is the one of service to others.”

Along with the Houston Food Bank as its main distributor, SGA is partnering with the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, the fraternity Delta Sigma Pi and Instructional Professor and Undergraduate Chair in the Department of Chemistry Simon Bott.

The canned-food drive will run until Nov. 21, when the items will be gathered and transferred to local food banks. SGA hopes to finish collecting all items a few days before Thanksgiving so local food banks can disperse the goods on time to Houstonians in need.

Associate Director of Community Relations Corina Karabanoff hopes the canned-food drive will make an impact for the better in the Houston community.

“We want this canned food drive to have a great turnout and really make an impact in our Houston community; this is a great way to help others and give back,” Karabanoff said.

Biology senior Christopher Le said Thanksgiving is about celebrating spending time together as a family and feasting.

“Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrating togetherness and being grateful for what we have; it’s a time for family bonding and sharing our feast with one another,” Le said.

“The food drive is a great way to give back and feed the hungry families in the Houston community. It gives them a sense of hope for the day and warmth in their tummies and hearts.”

Items must be non-perishable canned goods. For questions regarding what can go into the food bins, please contact Bria Riley with the Department of External Affairs at [email protected]. Representatives from SGA and other potential co-sponsors will monitor the food bins daily and pick up goods as the bins fill up.