Administration Alumni Campus News Uncategorized

Mock interview trials lift students’ confidence for job hunting

Seniors, graduate students and alumni had their résumés critiqued and practiced their interviewing skills at the University Career Services Mock Interview Trials hosted by the Alumni Career Services on Thursday.

James Marble, assistant director of Alumni Career Services, said the goal of the mock interviews was twofold and benefited students, alumni and employers.

“The purpose of the mock interviews was to provide an opportunity for students and alumni to practice their interviewing skills with professional recruiters and have their resumes critiqued by professionals from various fields,” Marble said. “Also, this was an opportunity to educate employers on the value of majors outside of their normal scope and more particularly those within the College of Liberal Arts.”

Volunteers from 25 employers including Wells Fargo, HCSS and the Hertz Corporation interviewed approximately 100 students and alumni who attended to get tips on how to present themselves as stronger candidates to prospective employers.

Education senior Amal Nabhan said she was there to gain experience and learn about the interview process.

“I want to receive a lot of feedback that will really benefit me in real life and feedback on the way you dress, act, what to say and how to say it,” Nabhan said.

Frances Lubin-Rismay, an English linguistics alumna who recently left her last job, attended the mock interview trials for several reasons.

“I want a better job, something that pays better,” Lubin-Rismay said. “I want the employers here to tell me what’s wrong, if there’s anything wrong with my interviewing skills. I want to know where I stand.”

Students and alumni were interviewed by employers who conducted the mock interviews in 30-minute segments. Some even had second and third interviews with different volunteers. The employers critiqued the interviews and résumés and gave written evaluations.

Human resource development graduate Guliana Forte felt that the critiques were beneficial and would set her up for success in the competitive job market.

“I had two interviews, so it was pretty good,” Forte said. “I think they gave me sincere feedback. I definitely feel more prepared now for real interviews.”

Marble expects to conduct another event in the spring semester to provide more opportunities for students and alumni to practice and network with employers.

“Some of the employers were using the event to field potential candidates,” Marble said. “I believe this is positive and should be duplicated many times over. Anything that gives UH students a head start or advantage in the interview — I will do all I can to contribute to the positive outcome.”