Volleyball

A tear-jerking finale

After nearly four years of routine and habit, Meredith Ware has already predicted one thing about her last game at UH: She’s certain she’s going to cry.

The defensive specialist, who will be the only honoree on the team’s Senior Night on Wednesday, is already talking about the game with a hint of pre-emptive nostalgia.

MEREDETHWAREedit

Senior defensive specialist Meredith Ware (left) said her final home game will be an emotional experience. | Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

“It’s very weird knowing that after this Wednesday, I’ll be finished,” Ware said. “It’s definitely going to be very weird being the only senior, but it’ll be fine knowing my team will be standing behind me.”

The Wednesday match is against SMU (21-9, 13-4), the second-place team in the American Athletic Conference behind Louisville, while UH (18-14, 10-7) is fourth in the American. The Mustangs have only lost once since last playing the Cougars on Oct. 25.

“We had a really strong game against UCF this past weekend,” Ware said. “We played very well together, and everything that we’ve been working on all season just came together. I think we’re going to be able to use that going into the game against SMU. We want prove to ourselves that we can beat that team.”

The grudge-match angle is an element that adds overriding drama, but even the underclassmen recognize the importance of the night to the team’s lone senior.

“It’s not unspoken; we definitely want to win for Meredith,” said freshman outside hitter Sarita Mikals. “Through the last three games, you could just tell how bad she wants us to win, so we want this game for her.”

Head coach Kaddie Platt, a veteran of several of senior nights, said she sees the night as an early reminder for her other upperclassmen.

“They understand the importance of the game to Meredith,” Platt said. “We have a lot of juniors, so a majority of them are going into their last season. I think the upperclassmen definitely take it to heart and want to give (Ware) a win.”

Thoughts on the ceremony itself are already bouncing through Ware’s head.

“It’s going to be very surreal knowing that it’s all over. There are going to be tears,” Ware said. “It’s been a very emotional season just knowing it’s my last, so just standing on the court knowing that I’ve accomplished so much these past four years will make it all worth it.”