Fine Arts

Blaffer springs into new exhibitions

After a semester of inspiring galleries, the Blaffer Art Museum prepares for a cultural and historical revolution of exhibitions from various artists in the spring semester. | Paulina Rojas/The Daily Cougar

As the holidays approach and the semester comes to a close, the Blaffer Art Museum approaches the close of its fall exhibitions and prepares for novel pieces in the spring.

Amy Powell, the curator of Blaffer and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts, said she looks forward to the spring semester and the upcoming exhibitions, and hopes to see more students participating in events.

Three upcoming exhibitions opening in January include Anton Ginzburg’s “Terra Corpus,” “Antena” by Jen Hofer and John Pleucker and “Tears and Politics” by Phil Collins and Christian Jankowski.

Russian artist Ginzburg will present parts one and two of a trilogy of works in film, photography, sculpture and painting developed around conceptions of mythical or legendary landscapes Jan. 17.

“Antena,” a language-based collaborative founded in 2010 by Hofer and Pleucker, will open Jan. 16. Hofer and Pleucker are writers, artists, literary translators, bookmakers and activist interpreters and will teach an interdisciplinary art class in the spring.

Antena’s work revolves around the intersections of social justice, critical views on language, cross-cultural artististic production, reading, writing, book-making and the visual arts.

“Tears and Politics” opens Jan. 17 and is based off the telenovela, one of the most popular products of Latin America. The exhibit engages the idea of exploiting the world market through the articulation and preservation of cultural difference.

With a final goodbye to Blaffer’s exhibitions, students reflect upon their thoughts on Blaffer and their favorite pieces.

Art senior Jason Callaway, who has visited the museum for his IART class assignments, said he was impressed with the “Feast” exhibition.

“They did a really great job,” Callaway said. “I loved the theme of food and how it’s something so universal that everyone can relate with. Although eating is a necessity, it’s also something meant to be enjoyed. The messages behind each piece make you think deeper about the next time you share a meal with someone or even pick up a piece of candy.”

The piece of candy that sparked Callaway’s interest was inspired by one of Blaffer’s “Feast” exhibition pieces.

“My favorite pieces of the exhibit would have to be Tom Marioni’s beer salon and the colorful candy displayed in the corner in the front,” Callaway said.

“The piece was created in remembrance of the artist’s past lover who died of AIDS. There was the idea of how a part of him was still there. The piece wasn’t meant to just be viewed, but rather enjoyed. The candy was free for viewers to pick up and eat. It’s as if we get to have a taste of his spirit.”

Advertising senior Terrence Henderson said he feels a sense of sentiment toward Blaffer.

“Blaffer allows one to reflect on the everyday things and events in our lives that we all take for granted,” Henderson said. “It allows one to slowly experience those short but sweet moments in time.”