Young team rebounds to make bowl

Before the season started, the Cougars created a motto: ‘Something to Prove.’

The Cougars stood at a disappointing 5-7 this time last year because of a poor defense and inconsistent offense, and were watching other teams play bowl games in December and January.

“We didn’t want to go back to having the same year we had last year,” said senior defensive back Zachary McMillian.

“A lot of the young guys bought into it, and we all took it personally that we didn’t avert back to doing what we did last year.”

Now, the Cougars have performed a complete 180, gashing teams with an effective inside passing game and consistent running game, topped off with a opportunistic defense that leads the country in forced turnovers (40), propelling them to a bowl game whose opponent is yet to be determined.

“Last year, we knew we weren’t going to a bowl game,” said junior receiver Daniel Spencer. “We came out hot this year and won eight games. That’s a great season. We’re happy about a bowl game.”

What a difference a year makes: a freshman starting quarterback, several new coaching staff members, no actual home stadium, and a new tougher conference. They may have lost three of their last four, but UH’s win last weekend against SMU was a much-needed end to the regular season.

“To end with the win and not end the season with four consecutive losses was important. The message we send to our student athletes is about being 1-0 at the end of every week,” said head coach Tony Levine after the win. “Now that the regular season is over, it’s 8-4. That does sound better than 7-5. The win today gives you some momentum going into whatever bowl game we are invited to.”

The Cougars will have to wait at least until next week to see who they will face.

The bowl they’ll be invited to is likely to be either the Belk Bowl, the Pinstripe Bowl or the BBVA Compass Bowl.

UH’s destination will largely be predicated on Rutgers (5-6). If it can win its game against South Florida this weekend, it will be become bowl-eligible and will be a front-runner to be invited to the Pinstripe, which is played at Yankees Stadium in the Bronx.

Nevertheless, the Cougars will have almost a month to regroup, leading up to wherever and whomever they will play this month.

• Now that football season is winding down maybe some of the students can find their way to Hofheinz Pavilion to support a young basketball team that needs all the support it can get. The pitiful number of students attending games is embarrassing. When I lived on campus back in the 70’s we went as a group and literally filled half the general admission side. It’s that kind of support that builds strong programs. Sitting around waiting for a championship team before supporting it is delusional at best.