Crime

Armored vehicle burglary update

FBI investigators have taken the lead in the armored vehicle robbery Friday morning at the entrance of the University Center as students were walking to class.

While a guard was at the ATM machine, an armed man allegedly coerced the pregnant driver out of the Loomis armored van and took off with it. The guard at the ATM ran to the scene and fired at the vehicle as it was driving away, witnesses say. No one was injured.

Ruben Dominguez, a metal worker who is employed for the UC construction, heard the shot fired.

“It’s terrible anywhere, but it’s terrible here. There’s so many kids; it’s a school,” Dominguez said.

UHPD has confirmed that the man was acting with two accomplices. The armored van was found ransacked and abandoned at a nearby on-campus parking garage, according to ABC 13 local news.

All three suspects allegedly fled campus in a red pickup truck, which was later found at the Planned Parenthood next to campus at 4600 Gulf Freeway.

UHPD and HPD are cooperating with the FBI on this ongoing investigation. UH Executive Director of Media Relations Richard Bonnin said that no details have been released, and he has deferred any questions to the FBI.

Special Agent Shauna Dunlap was unable to comment on the investigation.

“It’s still an ongoing investigation. Nothing will be released at this time,” Dunlap said.

There is a $5,000 reward for any information or tips leading to an arrest. People are encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS or the FBI Houston Division at 713-693-5000.

• At least the UHPD is getting the FBI involved. That’s going to help the students who get robbed at gunpoint all the time on campus by wonderful guys who are just expressing their frustration about being oppressed by over-privileged college students. The FBI has done a good job investigating knockout games.