Crime

Six students robbed at gunpoint

At about 2 a.m. Friday morning, six students were robbed at gunpoint in the basement area of Law Residence Hall by three men, according to the UH Police Department’s security alert.

The suspects asked the victims to surrender their cell phones and wallets and then left through an emergency exit door. The victims did not see in which direction the suspects fled.

The three suspects were described as black men, two wearing red, hooded sweatshirts. The weapons used to threaten the victims was reported as being a small frame silver revolver and a medium frame black semi-automatic handgun.

The report said there were no injuries and police are investigating the incident. For the latest information, visit UHPD’s website.

• Typical. There are so many guns present at UH as proven by all the
    gunpoint robberies. I don’t think many disadvantaged youth care that its
    a “gun free zone”. We need more funding for after-school programs and workshops about self esteem and non-violence. After that the can watch their
    favorite violence filled lovingly liberal Hollywood movie or listen to their favorite
    misogynistic rap song. Jay-Z’s inspirational poetry “I rape and pillage your village, women and children” is glowingly brilliant and captivating.

Too many paying customers/students have a false
    idea that someone at UH or the campus Police Department has any
    obligation to protect them or make the campus safer. The Supreme Court
    already exposed the fact that the government/ police are under NO
    OBLIGATION to protect anyone but the elites. Students at UH are
    basically at the mercy of whatever intentions the disadvantaged
    youths feel like doing whether it is rape, robbery or murder. If you
    want to be more secure, hire a bodyguard like the elites have. If you cannot afford one, there are other ways of obtaining them. The elites either have bodyguards financed by the taxpayer(important government “servants” and their families), corporate funded bodyguards(CEO’s, Film Studios, etc), or “out of pocket”(some celebs, low-level crime bosses).

In my native country of South Africa private security is very huge. It is quite common for mobs to burn criminals or necklace them. Nelson Mandela and Winnie were great advocates of necklacing. I am against violence so I prefer rehabilitating criminals with love and affection.

• Most students I talk to don’t feel safe on campus. We are just trying to get through school and survive this concrete jungle.

• All part of the stimulating multicultural inner city experience. Are we getting enlightened? Is it too culturally insensitive to suggest that UH’s location next to a high-crime ghetto — um, I mean , disadvantaged community — make UH students ripe for the plucking?