Editor's Note

Letter from the editor: Goodbye to the daily print edition

Welcome back, Coogs. Writing this letter is bittersweet for me. This will be the last semester you’ll see The Daily Cougar — daily in print.

Journalism has changed with the advancement of technology, and in Fall 2014, we’ll be daily online and weekly in print, which makes me the last editor in chief before our new era surfaces.

But this change is for the better.We see you walking around campus, and if you’re not reading our print paper, you’re reading something on your smartphone or tablet. Having a greater presence online will keep us connected to you and more easily accessible.

We want to provide you with news at every hour, and print just isn’t fast enough anymore. Our social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube are growing rapidly; it’s about time for you to “Like” or “Follow” us, if you haven’t already done so. It’s time to mark thedailycougar.com as one of your favorite web pages.

Join us. We don’t want you to be left behind. In the meantime, though, embrace the final days of this amazing daily print publication. Smell the newspaper, read the stories and check out the photos and all the hard work that your peers do every day for you. Remember that our tradition dates back to 1934 and visit us during our open house on Jan. 27. We thank you for your support and loyalty.

• The Daily Cougar for the most part is a great student publication, and I’m personally happy they are moving to the online-first format. Online is the future (and has been the future) and provides so much more benefits than print. It’s also obviously the more eco-friendly option.

Having a weekly print version is still great, for those that prefer that style and for its own unique benefits. If the Daily Cougar can continue to take further advantage of an online format, the readers will come. The DC is still the go-to place to see what’s happening around campus or involving the staff/faculty/student body.