Tennis

Cougars take two different paths to undefeated weekend

The Cougars had an undefeated weekend, beating UTSA and New Mexico. | Jenna Frenzel/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars had an undefeated weekend, beating UTSA and New Mexico.  |  Jenna Frenzel/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars’ two weekend victories were polar opposites.

UH swept UTSA 5-0 on Friday in the first season-opening shutout since 2010, but its contest on Sunday featured much more drama.

Sophomore Rocio Martin Fernandez rallied for the decisive point as UH defeated New Mexico 4-3 at John E. Hoff Tennis Courts on Sunday. Fernandez defeated Susan Baklini 7-5, 4-6, 10-8 after trailing 5-1 in the final tiebreak. The comeback victory secured Fernandez’ second singles victory of the season.

Fernandez overcame nerves and her opponent to clinch the victory for UH (2-0).

“I was shaking, my arms were shaking, but I thought about my teammates,” Fernandez said. “You have to win, you have to play for them.”

UH started the evening coming from behind. New Mexico (1-1) grabbed the first point up for grabs, winning two of three doubles matchups. The Lobos extended their lead to 2-0 with a singles win before the Cougars earned three points in a row to take a 3-2 lead.

After New Mexico tied the game, Fernandez responded with the game-clinching win.

Head coach Patrick Sullivan said the team learned about its mettle on Sunday.

“Win or lose, getting pushed to your limit is always a good thing. Finding out who you are — and finding out, when the chips are down, how you’re going to react — is always a good thing,” Sullivan said.

Friday’s win against UTSA featured fewer theatrics as UH cruised to the 5-0 decision at the Galleria Tennis and Athletic Center.

Senior Celia Fraser rallied from a 7-3 deficit in the final set to win 6-4, 2-6, 10-8 against Miriam Rosell Canudas.

“It’s my last season — I needed to pull it out and play well,” Fraser said. “I just (took it) one point at a time, and I managed to pull through.”

Sophomore Maria Andrea Cardenas, freshman Despoina Vogasari and Fernandez won singles victories to help fuel UH’s sweep.

UH will face Southern Miss at 1 p.m. on Friday on the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.