Tell me about a time when… you felt Cougar pride

Editor’s Note:  Tell me about a time when…” was created by senior staff columnist and print journalism junior Kelly Schafler with the hope of forming a more active and connected student body. On a campus this big and diverse, it’s easy to sometimes feel insignificant. One of the coolest things about diversity is the ability for it point out all of the similarities among the student body. Everyone has a story, and we want to hear them.

Once a month, a new prompt will be issued to the student body so we may begin sharing our stories. One student and one staff member of The Daily Cougar will be chosen to be featured together in this monthly column. We want to thank all of you who have submitted your stories and who may submit stories.

From new transfer to proud Cougar

There hasn’t been a definitive moment that I’ve felt pride for UH, but that’s only because every moment spent here is an immense point of pride for me. Having transferred in from a small, private university, I’ve had the unique opportunity of greatly appreciating every advantage that UH students experience on a daily basis. It’s the little things, really, that keep me mindful of how lucky we are to be at an institution like this. Not every university has a sprawling bookstore filled with Nike and Under Armour apparel — internationally recognizable brands representing an internationally recognized university.

Few campuses offer their students such a vast array of dining options — and by that, I mean more than a dining hall. At my former university, our student newspaper made getting an on-campus Chick-Fil-A a front-page story for multiple issues. It was the university’s first fast-food restaurant on campus, and everybody was crazy about it.

Not every student can go home during Christmas break and tell their family, and anyone who’ll listen, that they’re attending a university that boasts some of the nation’s best programs in entrepreneurship, business, communications, the hospitality industry and more. Not every student’s university is recognizable by people from Florida, New York or nearly any place in the country. Our campus is friendly, lively and urban.

It’s indisputably cool, and UH is worth bragging about to our friends at UT and A&M who seem to forget that we’re ranked equally in Tier One research status. We’re the heart and fuel of the fastest-growing city in the nation. To reiterate myself, there hasn’t really been a single moment that stands out to me in terms of school pride — each moment I spend at this university is something that I’m incredibly proud of.

Cara Smith
Communications junior and senior staff opinion columnist

Storming the field with Cougar Pride

My name is Ramon Ruiz IV, and I am a second-year student at the UH Graduate College of Social Work. I attended UH for undergrad and graduated with my bachelor’s degree in psychology in the Fall 2009.

The greatest memory of school pride I have from UH took place during my last semester of undergrad on the evening of September 26, 2009. On this particular night the UH football team was facing Texas Tech University in a highly anticipated game televised on ESPN, and in front of a record crowd at Robertson Stadium. I remember walking into the stadium that night and feeling the buzz of excitement in the air. It felt as if Robertson Stadium was the only place anyone in Houston needed to be that Saturday night.

At the time, UH was undefeated and another victory meant the team increasing its national ranking and maintaining its perfect record. The game was packed full of rowdy students, alumni, and fans sporting their Cougar colors in a sea of red. The game was competitive and close the entire time, but toward the end of the fourth quarter Texas Tech took the lead, and it seemed like an undefeated record was in jeopardy.

With four minutes remaining, UH losing 28-23, and the offense backed deep in its own territory the Cougar Pride was in full effect and loud as it had been all evening. Case Keenum, as he had done so many times before, and continued to do after this night, led UH on an epic drive that ended with Keenum calling his own number and running a quarterback draw for a touchdown. The UH defense then tenaciously held off Texas Tech’s last efforts to recapture the lead and secured the win.

With time running out and a victory on the cusp, it felt as if the stadium was erupting into complete pandemonium. Once the final second ran off the clock, thousands of Cougar supporters, including myself, stormed the field and celebrated with the players and coaches. We chanted and yelled together in what seemed to be an inconceivable dream where everything had transpired better than expected. Leaving the stadium that night I was proud as ever to be part of the Cougar Pride, and knew it was a night I would never forget.

Ramon Ruiz IV
Graduate student at the Graduate College of Social Work

Senior staff columnist Kelly Schafler is a print journalism junior and may be reached at [email protected]