UH System

UH-Victoria receives national recognition in new report

UH-V's online undergraduate program has been ranked as the third highest in the state out of the 11 universities that made the US News and World Report 2014 rankings. The University currently has nine online undergraduate and four online certification programs.

UH-Victoria’s online undergraduate program has been ranked as the third highest in the state out of the 11 universities that made the US News and World Report 2014 rankings. It currently has nine online undergraduate and four online certification programs. | Courtesy of uhv.edu

UH-Victoria kicked the new year off by receiving national recognition through this year’s U.S. News and World Report rankings.

UH-V ranked No.131 in the publication’s 2014 best online undergraduate programs out of the almost 1,000 programs surveyed. It was ranked third highest in the state out of the 11 Texas university programs that made the list.

The criteria for this specific ranking include weighted scores in a variety of categories, with faculty credentials and training and student services and technology being scored significantly high within the UH-V program.

Achievement in these services allows for greater accommodation in scheduling for the students as well as dependable learning assistance, career guidance and financial aid resources.

“We go where the students are,” said UH-V president Phil Castille.

Castille believes the campus provides a model way to take quality education to the students by staying ahead with the always-adapting state of 21st century higher education.

UH-V, the UH system university with the smallest student body, sought the growth of online undergraduate and MBA programs in the early 2000s and has expanded into what can be considered the most “wired campus” in the UH system, with 45 percent of its student body taking courses online compared to that of less than 5 percent at the main campus.

“In addition to being great teachers, our faculty members have demonstrated a readiness to adapt to new and different modes of teaching,” said Jeffrey Cass, UH-V provost and vice president for academic affairs, in a UH-V press release. “We take great pride in offering our students high-quality learning experiences whether they come to us or we come to them.”

UH-V also was ranked on GetEducated.com, which credited the pricing and quality of the institution, and the Houston Business Journal ranked UH-V second in most popular MBA programs in the greater Houston area, just after the main campus.

The small campus has accomplished the establishment of a highly convenient and nationally recognized undergraduate online program and an even larger and credited online MBA program.

Mara Cooper, director of the student success center at UH-V, said UH-V is the place to be now, with greater emphasis centered on students and a peak in enrollment.

“Being a small institution, the University of Houston-Victoria strives to be more innovative to stay ahead of trends and higher education delivery,” Castille said.

“UH-V is chosen because it is a top-quality education with low costs and a convenience of online access for success-seeking students.”

UH-V has nine online undergraduate programs and four online certifications. For more information, visit uhv.edu.