State

UH advocate tries for seat on Humble City Council

Norman Funderburk studied mechanical engineering at the University in the early 1970s. Since then, he has gone on to gain 40 years’ worth of experience in engineering and construction, and he has been working for Koch Specialty Plant Services since 1987. He serves as the president of the Northeast Hospital Foundation and said he believes that his track record in the community speaks to his pride and dedication to serve the city of Humble in the City Council seat.

The Daily Cougar: What made you decide to file for the City Council seat?

Norman Funderburk: I’ve aspired to serve on our City Council for some time, and the position came to be open after Councilman Allan Lee’s passing in December. The city of Humble has been fortunate to have had excellent leadership over the years, and I’d like to continue that tradition if fortunate enough to be elected. Councilman Lee, having faithfully served the city for 19 years, is a great example of the stability that we’ve had in City Council.

TDC: What do you hope to potentially accomplish with the position?

NF: Because of the tremendous growth in the area, I want the city of Humble to also grow progressively. I want our community to be a location where families want to live and a place that anyone would want to visit and spend time. I want to ensure that quality of life for our residents is maintained, with safety and security being paramount. Our community has a rich tradition and a great legacy, so I’ll also maintain a focus on the available programs of our seniors.

TDC: What’s the hardest thing you’ve had to deal with in the midst of filing and launching your campaign?

NF: The two-week period since the filing date has been hectic in getting the campaign launched. With this being the first election campaign I’ve undertaken, there’s so much to be done: contacting supporters, getting election signs and information out and attending community events to meet and greet. It’s all been very exciting.

TDC: What do you want people to know about you or remember you for as you prepare to tackle this position?

NF: I have a love and passion for the city of Humble, having been a resident since 1971, and to the city’s success. After graduating from Humble High School in 1970, I chose to make this my home because of the outstanding services provided by the city, as well as the excellent hospitals that we have.

TDC: What made you want to remain an active part of the Humble community throughout the years?

NF: The citizens and local businesses of Humble have always been close-knit, very supportive of all our community events: Good Oil Days, Humble Livestock Show and Rodeo and our In the Pink luncheon and countless others. We also have very strong support for all Humble I.S.D. events and programs. Our Humble High School alumni base is very engaged, and we have an alumni banquet for all graduates every summer. All the events and activities help create a fun and exciting environment with a great many opportunities for service, and we’re so blessed to have so many in the community who enjoy serving, contributing to make Humble a great place to live.