Guest Commentary Opinion

Guest Editorial: Student Government Association’s role on campus

At UH, one of the most diverse schools in the country, students often perceive Student Government Association as an organization for the few. But the roles of student leaders are not focused on student governance and appearing important. Rather, they are about student advocacy.

SGA is not a political organization; it is a service organization whose only agenda is to influence positive changes happening across our Tier-One campus. The student body will elect a new group of SGA leaders this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The students elected this week will have the opportunity to meet with top University leaders and work on initiatives that will affect your time at UH.

With important issues facing our campus — like security, student health, fixed-tuition proposals — it is more important than ever for student voices to be represented. By voting this week, you can continue to increase student engagement with issues facing the Cougar nation and give the next SGA leaders the backing they need to advocate on your behalf.

The Election Commission has done everything both in its power and not in it to recruit as many candidates and empower them to market themselves to represent students, speaking to numerous groups on campus, including the UH College Democrats and Houston Panhellenic Council, during its recruitment campaign.

Regardless of your involvement on campus, passion for UH or knowledge about the SGA, we the Election Commission urge you to take a few minutes between your classes to meet the candidates, read their platforms on their flyers and vote in the SGA elections this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

This week, join us in electing our next campus leaders — because if we speak up together, just think of how much we can achieve. Go Coogs!

Chief Elections Commissioner Kendrick Alridge is a political science senior and may be reached at [email protected]