Tell me about a time when…you felt Texan pride

Editor’s Note:  “Tell me about a time when…” was created by senior staff columnist and print journalism junior Kelly Schafler with the hope of forming a more active and connected student body. On a campus this big and diverse, it’s easy to sometimes feel insignificant. One of the coolest things about diversity is the ability for it to point out all of the similarities among the student body. Everyone has stories, and we want to hear them.

Once a month, a new prompt will be issued to the student body so we may begin sharing our stories. One or two students and one Daily Cougar staff member will be chosen to be featured together in this monthly column. We want to thank all of you who have submitted your stories and who may submit stories.

March’s prompt: Tell me about a time when … you experienced discrimination and how you dealt with it.

Reasons to love the Lone Star State

The most definitive moment I felt Texas pride would have been when my family pulled off the road during a trip to Austin for a break.

I was probably about 7 or 8 years old, and my family stepped out of the car for a breather.

The field next to us was full of blooming bluebonnets, and there was a slightly cool breeze to provide temporary relief under the hot Texas sun.

There’s a picture of my sister out there in one of our family albums that would surely pull your heartstrings.

However, that’s not the only moment I felt Texan pride.

My pride for Texas dates back all the way to grade school. Texas history was part of the curriculum, and for the entirety of fourth grade, Texas was at the center of attention. We learned about the Battle of the Alamo and even had a field trip to San Antonio.

All of this information fed to me in the eighth grade reiterates how much pride every Texan has.

After all, we are the only state that gets to have our flag level with the American flag.

Sure, we might be ridiculed for being the least favorite state in the United States, but that’s probably because the other states are just jealous. That or we always threaten to leave the rest of America too much. We also have the rodeo, Six Flags, a healthy economy and Tex-Mex.

Some people think we ride our horses to school and make our own milk or butter, even though I tell them, “I’m from Houston.”

We have plenty of beer, delicious burgers and most importantly, that southern hospitality. We love small talk. Though we like to act tough and say, “Don’t mess with Texas,” we’re all actually friendly.

Austin keeps it weird, San Antonio has the beautiful River Walk and Houston gave the world Beyoncé. You’re welcome.

I love Texas, and although I occasionally contemplate leaving to explore other states, I have a feeling I’ll come crawling back. Texas will always be my home. We have a long, extensive history, and we care enough to ensure that students are at least familiar with it.

The Houston weather may be unpredictable and bipolar, but we know we’ll have the best time when it’s beautiful and sunny outside. Austin City Limits, SXSW, Houston Free Press Summer Fest and the Houston Beer Festival — you can’t find experiences like these anywhere else.

There will always be something special about Texas, and I truly think it’s one of the best states in the country. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. Texas, I love you.

Gemrick Curtom

Public Relations junior and opinion columnist

Finding a home in Texas

I grew up in Indiana, but I moved here in my senior year of high school, and everyone here is a lot more open and welcome.

They’re a lot more “yes, sir” and “yes, ma’am.” You don’t get that in Indiana.

There’s a real strong sense of everyone else having pride. They’re real glad to be a Texan — everything’s bigger in Texas.

When I grew up, I always said I was going to move to Texas. I don’t know why; I don’t have any family down here, but I told my mom that after I graduated high school, I was moving to Texas. I’ve told her that since I was growing up.

Everything you hear about Texas (made me want to move here): It’s big; it’s awesome; there’s always something to do. I love it.

Also, we went to the Alamo a few months ago during Thanksgiving break, and it felt really cool to be there. I was there with my stepdad, and he’s a big history buff.

So it felt nice to be there with him and connecting on our little family level, being part of where history was made and how Texas got to be its awesome self, looking at the Alamo and realizing “Hey, this is where that happened,” and to put some facts with the things you’ve heard your whole life.

Allison VanGordon

Nutrition junior

Slipping into Texas pride

I’m proud to be a Texan because you just can’t find another place like this. It has an accumulation of so many things, such as culture, ideology and physical landscape. I wouldn’t necessarily agree with the politics, but there’s a sense of home tied here.

I think the best part is when you travel and people ask, “Where are you from?” and I say, “I’m from the Lone Star State. I’m from Texas.” You can say you’re from another state in the United States, but people know Texas because it’s out there and different. I wouldn’t want to say I’m from anywhere else.

Also, (I felt Texas pride) when I purchased my first pair of cowboy boots, because I was originally so against it. But then when I was going to purchase my first pair of boots for the Rodeo, I thought, “What’s stopping you? Why not?”

Another time is when I first embraced country music. I think college made me more open-minded. You tend to close yourself off and follow your parents’ ideologies (when you live at home), but then when you meet new people and start sharing different experiences, you realize you like different things.

I used to think that country music was just for people who lived in the country, but now I love to two-step.

Hotel and restaurant management senior Frances Guerrero

Frances Guerrero

Hotel and restaurant management senior

Senior staff columnist Kelly Schafler is a print journalism junior and may be reached at [email protected]