Faculty & Staff

UH bids 13-year employee farewell in style

Bittersweet goodbyes were shared Wednesday afternoon at a farewell party hosted in honor of Linda Jauregui’s 13 years of service to the University.

From working in the basement for Building Services up until her last year of employment in the New UC, Jauregui has positively impacted coworkers, students and friends. Upon deciding to retire after 13 years of working as UC administration office coordinator, she was recognized by many of her fellow faculty and friends as an irreplaceable asset to the University.

Several students, faculty members and friends attended the farewell party. After the formalities, a cake was brought out to honor Jauregui, or “mom,” as she is affectionately called around the office.

Keith Kowalka, assistant vice president of Student Affairs, presented Jauregui with a framed collage documenting her years of service in pictures.

“Linda is the glue that held us together,” Kowalka said. “I don’t know anybody who has done a better job helping everyone collectively. Linda is a friend to everybody and is always willing to go the extra mile.”

After acknowledging the Staff Excellence Award she received in 2008, Kowalka opened the microphone to anyone who wished to speak about Linda’s past 13 years of employment. Dan Maxwell, a coworker and longtime friend of Linda’s, spoke about the impact she has made through the years.

“Linda has a ripple effect on not only this campus, but everywhere else,” Maxwell said. “She is kind, thoughtful, helpful and a jewel for UH.”

Henry Anderson, a UH Facilities Management employee for 25 years, spoke about what he believes Jauregui accomplished throughout her 13 years of service.

“I have known Linda for many years, and the nickname ‘mom’ that we gave her is completely accurate. Linda has encompassed what it means to be the ultimate leader and provider through service. She will be greatly missed.”