Golf

Cougars strive for national title after tournament victory

Junior golfer Roman Robledo and the Cougars feel they can be one of the best  teams in the country after sweeping the team and individual titles at the Bayou City Collegiate Championship and Querencia Golf Club. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Junior golfer Roman Robledo and the Cougars feel they can be one of the best teams in the country after sweeping the team and individual titles at the Bayou City Collegiate Championship and Querencia Golf Club. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Though it has been 27 years since UH captured its 16th national title, junior golfer Roman Robledo said he thinks this could be the year the Cougars earn another banner.

“They can tell we’re here for (a) reason. Talking to coaches, they’re fully aware how bad we want that title. We’re headed in the right direction,” Robledo said. “Right now we’re determined to bring back that legacy and 17th title. The way we’re playing right now, there’s no reason that we can’t compete at the highest level.”

His confidence is backed up by recent results.

In consecutive tournaments, UH has chopped down the past two national champions.

After defeating 2012 national champion Texas by sweeping the team and individual titles in the Bayou City Collegiate Championship, UH accomplished the same feat south of the border.

The No. 11 Cougars defeated No. 1 and defending champion Crimson Tide by one stroke to stop their 11-tournament winning streak. UH defeated Alabama by shooting an 863 at the Querencia Golf Club on Tuesday.

“Any time you are in competition with the No. 1 team in the country, you better play at your best, and our guys did that.”

Jonathan Dismuke, director of golf

Both tournaments featured multiple ranked teams. The Querencia Cabo Collegiate had more ranked teams than unranked squads.

“This has been a great week for us. Our guys played hard on a very demanding course. Any time you are in competition with the No. 1 team in the country, you better play at your best, and our guys did that,” said Jonathan Dismuke, director of golf. “We stumbled a bit coming down the stretch but did enough to win the title.”

Robledo earned his fourth championship in eight events, including his second straight individual title, by finishing at 4-under-par 209. Robledo became the first UH golfer to earn consecutive championships since 1999 with the victory.

Robledo finished one stroke ahead of Baylor’s Kyle Jones and two strokes in front of Alabama’s Robby Shelton, who was ranked No. 4. That tournament’s top three finishers were the only competitors to finish at par or better for the tournament.

“Roman played well all tournament long,” Dismuke said. “This course is demanding and handcuffs the strength of his game in many ways, so this was a special win for him. For him to perform and play as he did was just an outstanding achievement.”

Four UH competitors placed among the top 20, including two among the top eight. Senior James Ross tied for eighth at 216 and posted the team’s lowest round of the day with an even-par 71. Ross earned his third straight top-10 finish and his fourth of the 2013-14 season.

Senior Curtis Reed tied for 14th at 219, while senior Wesley McClain finished in a tie for 20th after shooting a final-round 72. Junior Kyle Pilgrim tied for 20th at 229, while freshman Matt Scobie, playing as an individual, finished 70th at 244.