Events

‘Catching fire’ in Cougar Games

HungerGames_FEATURE

Tributes will participate in archery, tug-of-war and Minute-to-Win-It competitions and try to break world records in the first Cougar Games on Tuesday afternoon hosted by the Student Program Board. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

The odds will be ever in your favor as arrows fly at the first Cougar Games at Lynn Eusan Park.

The Student Program Board will host the Cougar Games from 2 to 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 1.

Students can participate in a variety of games, including tug-of-war, archery, Minute-to-Win-It competitions and even an attempt to break three world records.

SPB will give out free food, T-shirts and prizes and feature a screening of the action film “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.”

“There’s something for everyone,” said integrated communication junior Sana Shahid. “If you’re more of a mind person, we have a Minute-to-Win-It. If you’re more of a physical person, we have sumo wrestling, an obstacle course and tug-o-war. And of course, we have the world records.”

Unique and more college-friendly compared to some familiar world records, SPB hopes to accomplish the most amount of people bubble wrapping at the same time, fist pumping and thumb wrestling.

“The biggest attraction we have is going to be the world records,” Shahid said. “If we get in … we’re going to go down in history. It’s the Guinness Book of World Records. It’s everyone’s childhood dream. I mean, how cool is that?”

Aside from the world records and the physical activities, political science junior Beatriz Torres said the biggest competition is the mental game of Minute-to-Win-It.

“It’s little different activities comprised into one big activity,” Torres said. “It’s a mental activity. It gets frustrating.”

SPB will take games from the hit NBC game show “Minute to Win It” to challenge students.

“We’re going to have little toothpicks to throw into a cup. It’s a lot harder than it looks,” Shahid said. “On TV, you’re like ‘Oh, it looks easy,’ but when it gets down to it, it’s really hard.”

Journalism senior Timothy Payne said he looks forward to the event.

“I think it would be fun to actually be a part of the Hunger Games, except for the part of the constant fear of death,” Payne said. “I hope the Cougar Games deliver the thrills and friendly competition.”

Shahid said she hopes to instill an enthusiastic participation and suggested students dress accordingly.

“Everyone wear pants, and bring all your friends.”