Opinion Web Exclusive

Kelly’s Korner: Reacting to shared videos

Nowadays, if we are being totally honest with ourselves, most of our worldly information is gained from social networking sites. Instead of waking up and turning on the television, I wake up and surf Facebook for 30 minutes. Social media has become the unofficial herald of the modern world — and I am strangely okay with that.

Gone are the days when we had to beg our parents to switch from channel 2 to Saturday morning cartoons. Parents now surf the Internet as much as we do, therefore allowing us to watch as much cartoons as we want as they get their news fix online.

We have so much access to technology that sometimes it’s difficult to distinguish between the things that are actually beneficial to absorb and the things that are slowly melting our brains into little Vine-watching, YOLO-screaming, twerk-enthusing robots.

From that, a list of videos that do not rot the brain — or at least all of the brain — was born.

Being lonely while being surrounded by followers

There is a recent video that re-emerged onto social media forums called “The Innovation of Loneliness” in which the creator, Shimi Cohens, maps out the reason that many people who have hundreds — sometimes even thousands — of online friends are left feeling alone. Though this video was introduced in July 2013, some trends don’t become popular until months later.

While this video does have a certain pretentious air to it that mildly feels like one is listening to a condensed lecture/slam poetry session, it is informative and true. We, the monkeys, fill our lives with followers and friends, a majority of whom are not actually our friends; they are just excessively filtered photos on a monitor.

Ultimately, we push ourselves toward this vision of self-actualization that is dependent on what we choose to “share” with people on social media. A good example of this is when somebody does something interesting and their first thought is, “This will make a good status,” or “I should take pictures so people are aware of how much fun I’m having.”

Parody videos using a wraparound background

Show me a video making fun of a desperate, money-hungry celebrity, and I’m tickled. Show me a video making fun of Kim Kardashian’s butt and Kanye West’s persona, and I may leave this world in a fit of respect and hilarity.

The parody video by Seth Rogen and James Franco called “Bound 3” that pokes fun at Kanye West’s “Bound 2” music video leaves a viewer extremely tickled and a little disturbed — there is so much unwanted back hair to be seen. Watching Rogen straddle and cuddle Franco atop a motorcycle with a horribly fake, plateau-infested background whizzing past is almost enough to make you not hate Kardashian and West — if only for the sheer possibility of more parody videos made from their ridiculousness.

After all, if Kardashian and West weren’t who they were, Rogen and Franco wouldn’t have the chance to be who they are: awesomely shameless individuals.

Seeking intimacy in a closed-off world

Another video that graced the Internet is called “First Kiss” by Tatia Pilieva. This video documents the awkward, sweet and germ-infested first kisses of 20 random strangers. While the idea behind this video was inspired, the outcome left me feeling awkward for watching random people suck face for an extended period of time.

However, the idea behind breaking down the barrier of intimacy was inspired, and by inspired I mean it inspired some pretty hilariously inappropriate parodies.

Disregarding the parodies, this video does break down typical stereotypes. The people shown macking on each other are men and women of different ethnicities and sexual orientations who are short, tall, old and young — but always attractive.

It seems like it would just be crazy to show traditionally “ordinary”-looking people. Oh, the horror! Average people need love — and a good make-out session — too, you know.

Dealing with self-image

If you are in the mood to have your face contorted and your teeth clenched by the sharp, crisp slap of reality, “Likeness” by Rodrigo Prieto is the short film to watch. Starring Elle Fanning, Dakota Fanning’s less successful sister, this video has not quite made viral status, but it certainly should.

This video depicts a girl’s self-image as she battles anorexia. There is a particular scene where the main character, mini-Fanning, stands in front of the mirror as her facial skin transforms into something that closely resembles the rocky exterior of The Thing from Fantastic Four. She tugs at the scales, probing watchers to cry, “No! Don’t pick at it. You’ll only make it worse.”

This dark yet truly beautiful video will leave you either deeply disturbed yet enlightened or in a deep yearning for some fast food.

Jokes aside, this short film was wonderfully done and disturbing.

We are the babies of this generation; therefore, we are responsible for the videos and information we choose to share with the world. We might as well make sure they’re worth sharing.

Senior staff columnist Kelly Schafler is a print journalism junior and may be reached at [email protected]