Events

Hindi festival of colors to paint campus skies

HoliFest_Diana3

To celebrate the awakening of spring, the Hindu Student Association is working with the Council of Ethnic Organizations to host Holi, the festival of colors, for all students from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday at Lynn Eusan Park. | Diana Nguyen/The Daily Cougar

Puffs of colored powder will paint the skies Thursday above Lynn Eusan Park.

The Council of Ethnic Organizations and Hindu Students Association will join forces to host Holi, a celebration of spring, from 4 to 7 p.m.

HoliFest_Diana

All students are encouraged to participate in the colored powder, live music and water games. | Diana Nguyen/The Daily Cougar

Students are invited to participate in the connecting of cultures by smearing colored powder, known as “rang,” and water on each other while playing games to the sound of the dhol, a double-headed drum. Food and water balloons will be provided, and live music will be played.

“I went last year and had a blast. It was nice to be able to just let loose, dance all crazy and act like a free spirit,”  said construction management senior Darcy Gomez. “I started loving the idea of having pink hair. I will definitely try to make it out this year.”

Holi, also known as the festival of colors and the festival of love, is an ancient Hindu festival celebrated at the approach of the vernal equinox on the last full moon day in the month of Phalguna Purnima — typically in February or March.

The festival signifies the victory of good against evil, the arrival of spring, the end of winter and the destruction of the evil demoness Holika, from whom the word Holi originates.

In 17th-century literature, Holi was identified as a festival to celebrate agriculture, good spring harvests and the fertile land.

Many students, including psychology junior Mary Nguyen, heard about the festival through photographs on social media but have never had the chance to participate.

“Hopefully I can make it if I’m not busy with work,” Nguyen said. “I’ve seen a lot of Facebook photos of the Holi event, and it seems like so much fun. It reminds me of The Color Run, except it has a cultural significance.”

Hindus believe it is a time to laugh, forget, forgive and renew broken relationships.

“I’ve never heard of Holi before, but it seems like a colorful event symbolizing peace and unity because of all the colors,” said biology senior Tri Tram. “It’s like the peace sign tie-dye shirts people wear.”

Biochemistry junior Noe Rodriguez said he thinks the festival is a great way to bring in the spring season.

“It sounds very interesting,” Rodriguez said. “I always find things from other cultures fascinating. Holi sounds like a really positive and interactive way to bring into the new spring season. Hopefully, one day, I may be able to participate in this festival.”