Campus

Spring graduation brings commencement speakers from across the nation

Four commencement speakers have been announced for the Spring 2014 graduation.

Rear Admiral Scott F. Giberson, acting deputy surgeon general, will speak at 9 a.m. on May 9 at the College of Pharmacy graduation. Giberson has served in the pharmacy category as chief professional officer as well as a clinical pharmacist, chief pharmacist, senior public health advisor, senior medical program officer and director, according to a UH press release. He is an advocate of the pharmacy profession and authored the acclaimed report, “Improving Patient and Health System Outcomes through Advanced Pharmacy Practice — A Report to the U.S. Surgeon General 2011.”

Dennis Levi, a UH alumnus and former professor as well as former optometry dean at the University of California, Berkeley, will speak at 7 p.m. on May 10 at the College of Optometry graduation. During his time in Houston, Levi was also the associate dean for research at UH and a Cullen Distinguished Professor. He will retire June 30.

Texas Supreme Court Judge Jeff Brown, a UH Law Center alumnus, will speak at 7 p.m. on May 10 at the UH Law Center graduation.

Administrator of the Administration for Community Living and Assistant Secretary for Aging with the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Kathy Greenlee will speak at 1 p.m. May 9 at the Graduate College of Social Work graduation. Greenlee has served as Kansas secretary of aging and is on the board of the National Association of State Units on Aging.

In addition, Dinesh Singh, vice chancellor at the University of Delhi, will receive an honorary degree during the commencement ceremony at 9 a.m on May 9.