Fashion Life + Arts

Summer Fashion Heats Up

All of those months in the gym are about to pay off. There is one thing clear about summer fashion: skin is in.

Crop tops are cool for daytime and can easily transition into evening elegance.

“It’s all about the crop tops,” said psychology graduate student Brittney Dotson. “Less is definitely more, though. I usually pair my crop with a high-waisted bottom of some sort.”

Dotson said she finds most of her trendy crops on a reasonably priced fashion website, toby.com.

High-waisted bottoms add a vintage flair to an outfit. Print journalism junior Remy Vogt is also a fan of the high-waisted trend she has seen over the last couple of summers.

“It accentuates the female shape beautifully and also lengthens the legs,” Vogt said.

Rompers are another trend back on the rise.

Like crop tops, a romper can be taken from day to night by simply swapping shoes or adding accessories. They are a fun, flirty fashion must-have that will stand the test of time.

“I love being able to just throw on a romper and go. It’s quick and flattering,” finance alumna Summer Hadidi said. “My summer style is anything that is free-flowing, not restricting, light-weight and fun patterns.”

Also expect to see light-weight maxi dresses in bold patterns.

Chemical engineering senior Anjali Sharma said she can’t live without a maxi this summer. “I wear maxi dresses pretty often. It’s one way to instantly look dressed up, but it’s just a summer dress. I love it.”

Many of the upcoming fashion trends are recycled from past years, but brought back in a more modern way.

“That’s what I love about fashion,” Sharma said. “What was once out can easily be reinvented into something very in. I can’t wait to see which trends will make a comeback next.”