Student Government

SGA Senate confirms appointees, passes school spirit bill

The Student Government Association Senate confirmed four presidential appointments and passed a bill to add a recitation of the alma mater to each senate meeting on Wednesday.

Sophomore Canyon Sanford was appointed as the Honors College’s senator and pharmacy student Lauren Tolat was appointed as senator to the College of Pharmacy. The senate, during the fifth meeting of the 51st administration, also confirmed senior Aditya Patel as an associate justice and sophomore Ryan Thompson as SGA’s director of public relations.

Sanford, who has participated in honors debate as well Honors Club Theater, wants to focus on better meal plans for students, improving the honors mentorship program, as well as making sure students know about the Honors College.

“I remember when I was applying to UH, I didn’t even know about the Honors College,” Sanford said. “We can improve awareness of the Honors College. That would be number one for me.”

A Tier One scholar, member of Delta Gamma Fraternity, 2013’s Miss Fiesta and the most recent winner of Sorority Woman of the Year, Tolat wants to use her experience to be a voice for Greek life and her new college.

“The College of Pharmacy is very isolated, so I want to be the connection between pharmacy and the rest of UH,” Tolat said.

Patel attended UH from 2006 to 2007, and said that while his position as associate justice is relevant to his career goal of receiving a federal clerkship, he also wants to further the development of SGA and the University.

“When I came back here, I was just so impressed with UH and SGA,” Patel said. “I just wanted a way to give back in the one year that I’m here.”

Ryan Thompson, who serves as the public relations chair for the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, was confirmed with SGA President Charles Haston speaking in his favor.

“He’s one of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen,” Haston said. “He’s here to 10 o’clock at night. I’ve had to tell him to go home so he doesn’t get burnt out.”

The only bill passed during the meeting was authored by Senator James Lee and adds a recitation of the UH alma mater after the roll call of every senate meeting.

“Think of a lot of the senate meetings where there are students, faculty and staff members who have never been to a senate meeting before,” Lee said. “We’re all about school spirit in this Senate.”

The senate will meet next at 7:30 p.m on June 18.