Life + Arts Movies

22 Jump Street satisfies old and new fans with classic humor

22_Jump_Street_Poster

“22 Jump Street” is now playing in theaters everywhere. |  Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

“22 Jump Street” shot to the number 1 spot in the box office last weekend with $57.1 million, beating “How to Train Your Dragon 2.” The action comedy starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum once again delivers plenty of laughs with the same story structure as the original reboot, with typical sequel modifications. Nevertheless, the film is a fun time at the movies for new fans as well as older fans of the original television series.

After going undercover in high school in “21 Jump Street,” Schmidt (Hill) and Jenko (Tatum) have upgraded to college and have to find the supplier for a new drug called “Why-phy.” With their different methods and personalities, Schmidt and Jenko investigate the way they know how — but college definitely has challenges in store for them. Ice Cube also returns as Captain Dickson and is the source of some of the funniest scenes in the movie.

Directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, directors of “The Lego Movie”, the awkward, dry and over-the-top humor works so well with the on-screen chemistry of the entire cast, especially Hill and Tatum. The all-star cast and cameos prove that the film had to have been a blast to make, and it can be seen in the movie.

The “bromance” throughout the plot does get a little old, however. The film starts with a recap of the first movie, then moves on to hilarious situations, but lags with typical separation drama between the cop duo. It is all made up for in the hilarious end credit sequence, which includes most of the cameos including Booker, an original series character played by Richard Grieco.

College students of all kinds will enjoy this film. It has plenty of popular rap and dub-step beats, including a cameo by Diplo, as well as relatable humor from some of the best in the cinematic comedy game. Other appearances include Anna Faris, Bill Hader, Seth Rogen, Nick Offerman, Dave Franco, and H. Jon Benjamin.

“22 Jump Street” is now playing in theaters everywhere.