Events Life + Arts

Raising hunger awareness with a f.r.e.s.h. take on volunteering

The Houston Food Bank will launch its new f.r.e.s.h. young professionals group from 6 to 8 p.m. on June 17 at The Grove. Tickets for the launch are $25 and include food, drinks and a swag bag giveaway and can be purchased through their website.

“I joined f.r.e.s.h. because 66,200 people are hungry on a given day in the Southeast Texas area,” said Houston Food Bank Special Events Coordinator Brooke Curtis. “I want to help fight hunger outside of the realm of being a Houston Food Bank employee.”

F.r.e.s.h. stands for the group’s mission goals: feed, respond, educate, socialize and Houston. The group aims to attract young professionals in the early to mid-part of their careers that are looking to network, educate and volunteer their time to increase hunger awareness in the Houston community.

“It is a great way to meet other young professional who are interested in the mission of the Houston Food Bank and who truly want to make a difference in our community,” Curtis said.

Those who attend the launch will have a chance to interact with other like-minded individuals and learn about the upcoming events f.r.e.s.h. has for its prospective members.

“We have a variety of opportunities planned throughout the year to make sure f.r.e.s.h. members will learn about the Houston Food Bank and the issue of hunger through volunteering, fundraising and educational opportunities,” Curtis said. “The goal of f.r.e.s.h. is to have a group of socially conscious young professionals who are motivated to take action and bring awareness to the issue of hunger through fundraising, advocacy, social and volunteer efforts.”

A free volunteer night will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday, September 18 at the Houston Food Bank. Young professionals will have the opportunity to volunteer for upcoming events and learn more about the Houston Food Banks mission goals. A concert fundraiser will follow in November at the Houston Food Bank loading dock and will include local bands, breweries and food trucks. A unique shopping opportunity with HEB President Scott McClelland will increase awareness by allowing its volunteers shop on a SNAP budget, an anti-hunger program.

With more events planned throughout the year, the launch of this new group is the first step in engaging a new audience who is motivated to make a change through volunteer efforts.