Academics & Research News

Houston Fortune 500 company donates $100k to UH

UH’s colleges of business, engineering and several other departments have been given a donation from one of its city’s energy leaders, Phillips 66.

Phillips 66, a Houston-based energy manufacturing and logistics company, emerged in 2012 from a split with ConocoPhillips. It cracked the top 10 in the Fortune 500 last year, reaching No. 6 with revenue over $161 billion in 2013.

“Phillips 66 wants to support the development of a diverse, agile and highly-capable workforce in the city where our company is headquartered,” said Greg Maxwell, Phillips 66 Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.

C. T. Bauer College of Business Dean Latha Ramchand said the company’s vision for a skilled workforce that can adapt to a changing market mirrors Bauer’s philosophy.

“Through their gift, our students will benefit from additional scholarship opportunities,” Ramchand said. “Their funds will also help to support our accounting programs, student organizations, Rockwell Career Center and Bauer Business Honors.”

The donation will support the Bauer College of Business in a wide variety of areas including scholarships, student organizations and academic departments. In the accounting department, the gift will be used to host the Phillips 66 Internal Audit Case Competition. This competition is a unique educational and networking opportunity that allows students to learn more about internal audit while being mentored by Phillips 66 professionals.

Maxwell met with students from Bauer and the Cullen College of Engineering in May before making the $100,000 donation to be used during the 2014-15 academic year.

“Phillips 66 has been a long-time supporter of the Cullen College of Engineering, and this latest gift is validation of the symbiotic relationship our college has enjoyed with the company over the years,” said Joseph W. Tedesco, Elizabeth D. Rockwell Chair and Cullen College of Engineering Dean. “Thanks to the support Phillips 66 has provided to our students and academic programs, the Cullen College of Engineering is even better equipped to continue graduating world-class engineers into the local and international workforce.”

In the College of Engineering, the departments of mechanical, chemical and biomolecular engineering will receive funding. Student professional organizations, scholarship programs and career service programs in both colleges will also receive funding, as will the University’s Honors College.