Life + Arts Movies

Five movies to distract students this semester

As Oscar season draws closer, released films will continue to improve, leaving 2014 with some noteworthy releases. It’s been a good year for movies so far and now that the summer blockbusters have had their run, a new season has come with its unique offerings. Check out the list below of upcoming features that look worth your money.

[tabgroup][tab title=”Sin City 2″]

“Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For”

Sin-City-A-Dame-to-Kill-For-teaser-poster

Courtesy of Troublemaker Studios

Release date: Aug 22. Robert Rodriguez’s much anticipated “Sin City” sequel finally arrives almost a decade after the original, bringing more of the neo noir comic stories to life on the big screen. This time around, there are four different storylines: Dwight McCarthy (Josh Brolin) protects his former lover from her abusive husband; Johnny (Joseph-Gordon Levitt) tries to take down the biggest villain in the city; Marv (Mickey Rourke) attempts to find out why he’s woken among a group of dead bodies; and Nancy Callahan (Jessica Alba) seeks vengeance for the death of John Hartigan (Bruce Willis).

[/tab] [tab title=”Believe Me”]

“Believe Me”

Believe_Me_Film_Poster

Courtesy of Riot Studios

Release date: Sept 26. Shot in Austin, this comedy tells the story of four broke college students who start a fake charity to pay for their tuition. Featuring mostly unknown filmmakers and actors, this indie film looks like a fun time at the movies. Nick Offerman and Christopher McDonald co-star.

[/tab] [tab title=”Gone Girl”]

“Gone Girl”

Gone_Girl_Poster

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Release date: Oct. 3. Gillian Flynn adapted her bestselling novel for master filmmaker David Fincher with a cast led by Ben Affleck. Nick Dunne (Affleck) becomes the targeted suspect of a media fiasco after his wife Amy goes missing. At a running time of 2 hours and 25 minutes, it will not be a disappointment. This film is definitely an Oscar contender.[/tab] [tab title=”Nightcrawler”]

“Nightcrawler”

Release date: Oct. 31. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a freelance underground crime journalist in Los Angeles, where nothing is what it seems. This film will serve as an interesting character piece for Gyllenhaal’s body of work. Rene Russo and Bill Paxton also star.

[/tab][tab title=”Exodus: Gods and Kings”]

“Exodus: Gods and Kings”

Release date: Dec. 12. Ridley Scott’s newest epic exhibits the account of Moses’ (played by Christian Bale) hand in leading the slaves out of Egypt. Scott’s films can be hit or miss, but never fail to be interesting. “Exodus” will hopefully live up to the greatness of “Gladiator;” Scott’s true form lies in his period pieces.

[/tab][/tabgroup]