Faculty & Staff News

New director of Center for Diversity and Inclusion announced

The Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services has appointed Niya Blair as the director of the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, a new department that aims to support diversity across campus.

“With the creation of this department, we now have a dedicated area to support the existing diversity as well as expand on the international efforts to guide a culture of inclusion at the University of Houston,” said Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services Richard Walker.

Blair has a Master of Education in Higher Education from the University of Arkansas, a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Central Arkansas and over nine years of experience in student affairs and diversity education. According to a press release from the Division of Student Affairs, as the first director for the new center, Blair will “provide leadership, strategic vision, organization and administrative oversight of campus-wide programs and services partnering with departments and student organizations in the areas of diversity and inclusion.”

“Niya brings a great vision and proven track record in developing programs, services and partnerships related to the areas of diversity and inclusion for students and other stakeholders in the University environment,” said Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Keith Kowalka.

“Her background and experience from several other campuses will be invaluable as she builds the UH Center for Diversity and Inclusion, while bringing a student-centered approach to working with students and student organizations in their pursuit of success.”