Life + Arts Movies

‘As Above So Below’ delivers cheap scares and little story

As_Above,_So_Below_Poster

“As Above So Below” releases everywhere Aug. 29. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Set in modern France, “As Above So Below” is a Labor Day release of a thriller following a pack of treasure-seekers through the ancient Paris catacombs. Directed by John Erick Dowdle, famous for his found-footage films often recorded as though the movie is from a hand-held camera, Dowdle’s shaky touch is felt throughout the film.

Protagonist Scarlet Marlowe, played by Perdita Weeks, is an anthropologist chasing the cold trail of a ‘Philospher’s Stone’ across Europe after her father passed away in his own pursuit. The film wastes no time acquainting us with Scarlet, as she lists her various accolades and testaments to her intelligence to fill out her unfortunately one-dimensional character.

Shortly after her motive is established the film throws us into the catacombs, quickly changing the tone from the comical mood that was set by Scarlet gathering up her ragtag team. Before this though, the film does make an effort to introduce promising characters that never appear again, as if the movie was racing against a deadline, or running close to budget. As soon as they spelunk their first cliff the notoriously shaky camera that defines this genre of horror becomes a glaring issue in the film. Scenes that are meant to leave you on the edge of your seat are mostly difficult to interpret as the camera finds no focus.

Despite this, the film does capitalize on its setting in the cramped cavernous catacombs beneath Paris, and utilizes them for a claustrophobic effect instead of just sitting on the abrupt loud noises and jump scares that some horror movies rely on entirely. The cameras that were previously burdensome are used here to cramp the viewer and inspire discomfort similar to what we see on screen, despite viewing in open theaters. “As Above” ensures that viewers are also able to understand the lore backing this story by tying in bits of mythological history, accurate or not, that suspend disbelief and help pace the scares.

Rounding the hour mark, the film finishes abruptly with the cast disappearing, and an equally abrupt ending closing us out. Late-summer scares are abound, but don’t sit in on this flick in hope for a deeply layered story.