Academics & Research News

UH experiences record-breaking enrollment numbers

campuspic

UH enrollment numbers are up by 3.6 percent since last fall. | File photo/The Cougar

More students are enrolled at UH than ever before, according to the University.

Preliminary numbers indicated the enrollment is 40,959 students as of the 12th day of classes. This represents a 3.6 percent growth since last fall.

“We are continuing to broaden our overall excellence, which includes enhancing the undergraduate education experience and improving our college completion rate,” President Renu Khator said in a press release. “Our record enrollment reflects the undeniable, palpable energy on display on our campus. It is an exciting time to be a Cougar.”

The newly introduced UHin4 program gives incoming freshmen the chance to opt into four-year fixed tuition and has also had an effect on the enrollment numbers. Incoming freshmen are taking more classes — an average of 14.44 semester credit hours — than the average undergraduate, who is enrolled in 12.06 credit hours.

“UHin4 is good for the students and for the University as more and more emphasis is being put on performance-based funding,” Provost Paula Myrick Short said. “We will continue to evaluate innovative and impactful programs that increase student success, including graduation rates, and contribute to a positive student experience.”

This fall also marks a record number of students that are living on campus. UH has the second-highest number of on-campus beds — 8,008 — in Texas.

• It’s wonderful that so many students are choosing UH. “Quantity” can be a good thing. Nevertheless, in order to achieve academic Tier One, quality must also be increased. Over the years UH has been stuck in a Fourth Tier status, often spearing right next to TSU. I’m curious about the “quality” of this class, SAT scores, academic standing in high school, etc. Is the university enforcing the higher admission standards that were discussed recently? Unless this also improves UH will remain just another school with bulging enrollment.

• Uh is listed in US News and World Reports as one of the top 200 schools in the country. That’s not “just another school with bulging enrollment.”

• Good to hear. For over 50 years UH has been firmly entrenched in what US News used to call the Fourth Tier. Then about 2 years ago it was announced that UH would uphold its own admissions standards. Under the old SAT system the minimum score for acceptance would be 1000, which meant they could barely read and write, but at least it was a start.