Food

Food trucks satisfy late night bites, could become permanent

late night bites

Students lined up at the Coreanos food truck outside Cougar Village Tuesday, Sept. 16. | Jenae Sitzes/The Cougar

For the last few days, students with late night hunger have finally been able to satisfy it without McDonald’s. Two words: food trucks.

This is part of a test run to see whether having food trucks around late at night could be successful.

According to Amanda Carrillo, marketing coordinator for UH Dining Services, this came about after students said they wanted more late night food options.

“As long as you are first in line, it’s a good thing,” said pre-pharmacy freshman Kyle Lim. Lim and two of his buddies left with big smiles and food in their arms.

Most students did not know the food truck experiment was happening until recently, although it began on Sept. 10. Through social media and word of mouth, students rallied to buy food from their favorite meal on wheels.

The first few days, nobody was here, philosophy freshman Alfred Prieto said. Only a handful of people of people showed up.

“I have been coming here every night,” Prieto said. “The food is just so good.”

Thursday night told a different story. “We have only been here 10 minutes and the line is already backed all the way past the trees,” Prieto said, gesturing towards the line.

Last week, the food trucks that participated were Golden Grill and Happy Endings. Coreanos participated through Thursday.

Overall, students loved having the food trucks on campus late at night and said they hope that this becomes a regular thing.

“UH Dining services will analyze traffic and sales data in order to determine if there is a need for it to continue,” Carrillo said.

• What about how the food trucks ran out of food? How many people were out there? This just seems like a feel good piece that didn’t really tell me anything…