Golf

Cougars show strong presence at Wolf Run Intercollegiate

After two weeks off, the UH Men’s Golf team returned to action when they competed in the Wolf Run Intercollegiate, hosted by Indiana at Wolf Run Golf Club.

Houston, ranked No. 15 in the Golf Coaches Association of America Preseason Poll, was part of a 15-team field, which included Akron, Ball State, Chattanooga, Eastern Michigan, Florida, Illinois, IUPUI, Kentucky, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Penn State, South Alabama, William & Mary and host Indiana.

After storms forced the end of Saturday’s action midway through the Second Round, Houston was in fourth place with a score of 296. Illinois led with a score of 285. Senior Kyle Pilgrim and freshman Michael Perras were both among the top 20 at the end of the first day.

Despite winds surging up to 25 mph, Houston managed to put up the third best score in the final round, pushing them into third place overall for the tournament.

Illinois was able to keep their lead, and win the tournament finishing 30 strokes better than second place Florida and 40 strokes in front of Houston. Kyle Pilgrim would finish the tournament with the sixth best individual score.

The Cougars will take a break from their schedule before competing at the Miramont Intercollegiate on Oct. 13 and 14 at Miramont Golf Club in Bryan, Texas.