Volleyball

Despite strong performance, Cougars fall to Green Wave

Looking to build off the victory over Memphis, the Cougars volleyball traveled to New Orleans, La. for a match against the Tulane Green Wave on Wednesday.

Houston (9-6, 1-2) took a close set one, but eventually fell in four sets (25-23, 22-25, 20-25, 21-25) to the Green Wave (3-12, 1-2).

Redshirt junior outside hitter Kadi Kullerkann hit .278 and was the sole Cougar with double-digit kills, picking up 21 on her way to her sixth 20-kill game of the season. Kullerkann also picked up a team leading five blocks in the match.

Kullerkann currently leads the AAC in total kills and kills per set and with the match moved into third in the nation with 294 kills on the season.

Sophomore Hunter Wise and freshman Sarah Afflerbaugh followed with eight kills each for the Cougars.

Coming off three consecutive 20-kill matches, senior right side Courtney Warren struggled, hitting -.038 with seven attack errors against only six kills.

Senior libero Natalie Keck added 16 digs, picking up her 14th straight match with double-digit digs. She leads the Cougars with 293 on the season and 1,745 for her career.

The Cougars will aim to build off this tough loss and start a new winning streak this weekend.

Despite the slow start to conference play, the AAC looks well-balanced with no team pulling away in the standings just yet.

The Cougars have a chance to rebound Sunday at 1 p.m. as they host newcomer to the AAC and longtime C-USA foe East Carolina (7-4, 0-2) at the Athletics/Alumni Center.