Saturday, May 21, 2022

For one UH student, music is a lifestyle

At just 19, Asim Khan has taken the electronic dance music world by storm.  The business junior launched his own company last January.

Also known as DJ Ramping, Khan said he first started to make EDM only two years ago. Khan says he hasn’t met anyone that looks down on EDM culture because it has something for everyone.

“EDM is big, it has multiple sub-genres and I can guarantee you’ll enjoy one of them,” Khan said. “My style is very different. I try to include my background and where I came from into my music.”

Khan identifies as Pakistani and Muslim and starts each day with a morning prayer. After he gets in his workout, Khan heads to campus to study before class.

“During my breaks, I’m usually promoting or sending e-mails to clients,” Khan said. “After school, I’m usually taking care of errands for my mom.”

It takes dedication to run a company and keep up with schoolwork while also trying to cultivate himself as an artist.

“It’s very difficult to balance school and music,” Khan said. “Sometimes I feel like I need to focus on just one, but at the end of the day I need both.”

Khan is the owner of Premium DJ Entertainment and provides full production and DJ entertainment for weddings and corporate events. He is officially in charge of four other DJ’s and also recruits sound and lighting technicians for larger events.

For Khan, music is his passion and his biggest motivation is to fulfill his mother’s dreams for him.

“She always wanted to see me (become) famous and do good for others,” Khan said. “My dreams aren’t changing; they’re only getting bigger.”

Correction: Initially the story said that Khan is a recurring resident DJ at Stereo Live, which is incorrect.

• COVID-19