City Life + Arts

Weekender guide: Oct. 17 – 19

Five things to do at UH this weekend:

Cougars Giving Back

Join Metropolitan Volunteer Program from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. today at the Campus and Recreation Center Stop to help build care packages for the homeless to donate to the Star of Hope organization.

UH vs. Temple: Volleyball

Watch the UH women’s volleyball team take on Temple University’s women’s volleyball team before the football game from 6 to 8 p.m. today at the Athletics/Alumni Center.
Price: free with student ID

UH takes on Temple University at 8 p.m. Friday at TDECU Stadium. | Justin Tijerina/ The Cougar

UH vs. Temple: Football

Support the UH football team as they host Temple 8 p.m. Friday at TDECU Stadium. The Student Government Association will tailgate at 3 p.m. and the Hilton College will tailgate at 4 p.m.
Price: Free with student ID

El Greco

The feature film “El Greco” by Giannis Smaragdis, sponsored by the Hellenic Cultural Center of the Southwest and the Faculty Senate of UH, will show from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the UC Theater and Ballroom. The film centers around the Spanish and Greek painter, sculptor and architect Domenicos Theotokopoulos and is being shown on the 400-year anniversary of his passing.
Price: $5 with student ID

UH vs. UConn

Cheer on the UH women’s volleyball team as they take on the University of Connecticut from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday at the Athletics/Alumni Center.
Price: free with student ID

Five Things to Do in Houston This Weekend:

Korean Festival Houston

The 2014 Korean Festival will showcase a variety of Korean entertainment such as traditional Korean dancers, Korean folk musicians, TaeKwonDo masters and Korean-American musicians. There will be refreshment booths and a kimchi eating contest as well. K-Fest takes place from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday at Discovery Green.
Price: Free

Energy Day Festival

Energy Day is Houston’s largest free family annual festival that features nearly 70 exhibits about science, technology, engineering and mathematics to teach attendees about STEM departments and careers in the energy industry. Business leaders will also be in attendance. It takes place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Sam Houston Park.
Price: Free

Grand Opening of Hermann Park’s Centennial Gardens

The existing Hermann Park Garden Center has been redesigned into the McGovern Centennial Gardens and to celebrate its grand opening, Hermann Park is offering performances, music, food and a tour of the new gardens from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
Price: Free

Fall Art Series

CityCentre at Town and Country will host local artists and artisans that offer items that range from painting and photography to jewelry, cards and handmade soaps from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday.
Price: Free

International Festival

Entertainment, food, prizes and the chance to experience a taste of a variety of cultures are all at the International Festival from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday at Town Green Park in The Woodlands. The festival also features Margarita Madness, which allows attendees to help choose the best margarita among the twelve teams competing.
Price: Free