Sports Tennis Uncategorized

Vogasari earns record-setting victory in Waco

UH traveled to Waco for the USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championships and came out as champions for the first time in Houston’s history. The five-day regionals tennis tournament, which started Thursday, ended with Houston taking the trophy and a promise for more.

The Cougar tennis team was serious about getting to the top this off-season, to show not just their school, but also the state, just how prepared they will be for the spring. Houston made sure to end the tournament as strongly as it started.

Saturday senior Elena Kordolaimi picked up two wins, both of which were important as one was against a Rice opponent and the other against a ranked opponent. Kordolaimi’s win against No. 54 Rachel Pierson of Texas A&M marks her career-best victory. Kordolaimi’s tournament run was cut short with a loss in the semi-finals after a hard-fought battle with Natalie Beazant of Rice.

The big winner of the regional championship was sophomore Despoina Vogasari. Vogasari now makes Houston record books as both the first Cougar to ever make it to the USTA/ITA Regional finals and the first to win.

Vogasari’s strong play though out the week highlighted her will to win as she carried Houston to victory with semi-final success. With a victory against TCU, 6-3 and 6-1, and another over No. 93 Natalie Beazant of Rice, 6-4 and 6-4, Vogasari earned her spot in the finals. The final’s match Monday could have turned out differently in the second set, as they were tied 4-all, but Vogasari took responsibility of her serve and brought the match to 5-4.

The consistent final’s winner did not drop a set in the six matches she won at regionals. The win also means that she will travel to Flushing Meadows, N.Y. for the National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships. The event features a 32-player singles draw and 20-team doubles draw.

The sophomore will once again face top competitors and ranked champions from around the nation. Vogasari will be playing on courts at the site of the U.S. Open. The event will be held at the famous USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.