City Life + Arts

‘Glass Mountain’ open mic night opens up to guests

On the partly-covered back patio, roughly 65 guests comfortably waited under overhanging trees and spherical paper lanterns for an evening of prose, poetry and music, as “Glass Mountain” held its October Reading and Open Mic on Tuesday at Café Brasil.

Journalism and creative writing senior Max Gardner started off the night with a bang, reading his untitled short story about lust, longing, love and the loss of one’s virginity. Told in first person point of view, the story’s narrator set the mood, taking listeners into his thoughts of doubt over an event the narrator “expected to be special.”

Following Gardner, English literature junior, poetry editor for “Glass Mountain,” Braden Root read two poems titled “Queensberry” and “Sundance.” Root said “Sundance” was inspired by the documentary “Tying the Knot” that chronicles Samuel Beaumont’s battle to keep a ranch that he had shared with his partner Earl Meadows after Meadow’s death.

“Gulf Coast” editor Adrienne Perry read an excerpt from her novel with the working-title of “Tent City,” which she said was a “work in progress.” She said that she “did not plan Ebola,” as it featured the protagonist “Dot” and her brother in rural Wyoming in a pandemic world.

Following the featured readers, guests were encouraged to help themselves to pizza and to sign up for open mic as musical guest “Star Stuff” took the stage.

Communication sciences and disorders senior Nader Madanat said that he enjoyed the Glass Mountain event, and he would require some liquid courage before embarking on anything of the same nature.

“It was interesting to see different people from poetry and fiction read together and the open mic was pretty nice,” Madanat said.

The subject matter of the open mic participants varied from humorous and refreshingly vulgar to heartbreakingly honest. After each participant, the crowd let off a whopping cheer, encouraging the participants who had the guts to share their art.

English literature junior Jacob Wagner said that he was invited to Café Brasil by two friends and thought it would be a great experience to listen to other writers show their talent.

“Personally, I write more longer prose, fiction, plays. Poetry isn’t necessarily my preferred genre, but watching and listening to it — I think it’s amazing,” Wagner said.

“Glass Mountain” is the undergraduate literary magazine at UH; it publishes bi-annually, has a rolling submission process and is currently picking submissions for the Fall issue. Submission deadline is Nov. 1 and multiple submissions are accepted.

For those interested in attending another event by “Glass Mountain,” it will be holding a launch party with more readings Dec. 2 at Café Brasil.