Volleyball

Cougars fall to UCF in 3, drop below .500

UH was unable to build on last week’s victory over UConn as the team traveled to Orlando, Fl. to face American Athletic Conference rival UCF Friday night.

The UCF Knights (16-5, 9-0) maintained their perfect conference record, with a three-set victory (18-25, 17-25, 19-25) over Houston (10-11, 2-7).

The Cougars came out strong in the opening set, hitting .294 against the Knights. Senior right side Courtney Warren put Houston ahead 6-5 with back to back kills, however a quick run of two UCF kills, a block and an attacking error put the Knights up 13-9.

The Cougars fell behind quickly after that, going down 0-2 headed into the half. They fought hard to come back from an early UCF lead in the third set, but couldn’t keep their brief lead. UCF regained control over Houston and completed their shutout with an 8-1 run to seal the deal, winning the third set 25-19.

UCF was able to contain the UH offense for most of the night, only allowing one Cougar player to reach double digit kills against them. Senior outside hitter Kadi Kullerkann managed to keep her double-digit kill streak alive. With 14 kills against the Knights, her streak reaches 21st consecutive double-digit matches on the season.

Though the Cougars were held in check, both Warren and Middle Blocker Kaiti Waters also put up effective nights, with eight and five kills respectively.