Administration News

SFAC: Dean of Students Office reports increase in student conduct referrals

The Dean of Students Office reported a more than 100 percent increase in total on-campus conduct referrals in 2013-2014 compared to 2012-2013’s referrals in their Student Fee Advisory Committee hearing held on Oct. 27 in the Student Government Association senate chambers.

Last academic year, DOS received 1,293 conduct referrals, which includes calls and complaints reporting incidents that violate the student code of conduct. By comparison, DOS received 603 referrals in 2012-2013. The highest volume of referrals came from Cougar Village 2, followed by Calhoun Lofts and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.

“We’ve built it, and they’ve come,” said Kamran Riaz, the associate dean of students, referring to UH’s population growth as a result of increasing residential options. Riaz mentioned that both Cougar Village 2 and Cougar Place’s construction preceeded the campus’ increase in conduct referrals.

This fall, crisis and case management experienced 26 emergencies involving students being transported to the hospital, according to the office’s SFAC presentation.

“With 8,000 beds on campus. DOS’s workload has doubled,” Riaz said.

“An increase in UH’s student body has also led to an increase in student threats, students with psychological disorders and other cases that have “made (the DOS’s) jobs harder.”

During its hearing, the DOS did not ask for an increase in base funding, citing fund balances carrying through from last year. The office lost an assistant dean in 2013; the position was filled in 2014. DOS also lost a case manager in Aug. 2013, the position was filled in Jan. 2014. “Leftover funds” from an accumulation of unpaid salaries will allow the DOS to manage the increase in conduct referrals without seeking additional funding.

SFAC hearings will continue through Nov. 3 in the SGA senate chambers. For the full schedule of presentations, click here.