Soccer

Cougars look for success in start of AAC Championships

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_1684

The Cougars are looking to find success in the AAC Championships starting this weekend as they face off with the ECU Pirates on Friday. Junior goalkeeper Jordan Brown hopes to keep the Cougars’ ahead as the conference’s top goalkeeper in saves with 83.  |  File Photo/The Cougar

The Cougars travel to Memphis this weekend as the No.10 seed and are set to take on No. 7 seed ECU Pirates in their first game of the AAC Championships.

Houston met with ECU earlier in the season and fell just short of victory in a tough 1-0 loss. On the other hand, the Cougars outshot the Pirates 9-4, a positive element the Cougars are bringing to the Friday game.

After playing in every game for the Cougars this year, junior goalkeeper Jordan Brown looks to continue her conference-leading season, as she has accumulated 83 saves over 101 chances. Brown’s standout season landed her in the top spot for ties, as she has five, as well as putting her among Houston’s top-10 in goalkeeper games played and started, saves, saves per game and goalkeeper minutes played.

With a dominant presence keeping the ball out of the Cougar’s net in Brown, junior forward Lexa Green hopes to put Houston above ECU as she leads the team this year with four goals and one assist. In addition to Green, the Cougar offense is looking for a strong performance from senior Kayla Walker, who contributed twice to the team’s goal count this season.

If the Cougars take down the Pirates Friday afternoon, the team will then face the No.2 seed Memphis in the quarterfinals of the AAC Championships.