Swimming & Diving

Swimming and diving looks forward to big weekend

PRINT-Kennia-Martinez-IMG_8292

Despite falling just shy of victory against both Incarnate Word and Rice, the Houston swimming and diving team posted top finishers in both meets, a promising sign going into their busy weekend. | Kennia Martinez/The Cougar

After two weeks of rest from competition, this weekend will be a strong sign of how Houston’s season will go as they travel to Denton for a tri-meet between UNT and Texas A&M on Friday, and then a dual-meet against SMU on Saturday.

The Houston swimming and diving team has yet to compete on the road this season, but they have had strong showings at home, as the diving team has taken the top spots in their previous events this season against Incarnate Word and Rice. For the swimming side of things, sophomore Michaela Hamrick and freshman Ashley Grijalva won their first collegiate events in Houston’s previous meet against Rice University in the 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard breaststroke, respectively.

The weekend will prove to be a tough test of the Cougars’ abilities. Both meets will consist of nine individual events, two relay races and two diving events to round out the competition.

The Cougars look to put up a strong performance this weekend, as they are 15-2 all-time against UNT. They will find some resistance against stronger foes A&M and SMU, as they are 8-30 and 5-31 against the in-state competition.