Movies

Special effects and acting make “Interstellar” shine

“Interstellar” explores the nature of humanity and family, through emotional and scientific lenses.

As Earth becomes overpopulated and crops begin to die, the fate of humanity lies in the hands of Cooper (Matthew McConaughey), a former NASA pilot. His job is to lead a mission into a wormhole that has appeared near Saturn.

It’s a mission that requires him to leave his family for an unknown amount of time, with no guarantee of his return. Led by Professor Brandt (Michael Caine), Cooper, Amelia Brant (Anne Hathaway) and a crew of scientists set forth to save the lives of those on Earth. 

“Interstellar’s” complex explanations of space-time and other phenomena are convincing and realistic. More than anything, Interstellar relays a strong message about the danger of exploring the greater reaches of space. 

Christopher Nolan has certainly outdone himself on an intellectual level and a technical scale, as Interstellar is an accumulation of meticulous work. Working with his brother Jonathan, Nolan explores many theoretical aspects of space, time, and the unknown. The amount of accuracy and effort he put into researching and theorizing truly comes forth through the screen.

His dramatic dialogue and unfolding of events emphasizes just how strange and drastic things are outside of Earth. Additionally, the inclusion of familial ties adds a layer of depth to each character and allows the audience to relate. “Interstellar” also touches on the dark-side of humanity, as Nolan explores how people react, both physically and mentally, in dire situations.

Nolan expertly exemplifies how thrilling and frightening space travel can be, as what you may find is equally exciting and dangerous. There are never moments of comfort and rest in “Interstellar,” because every action has consequences and time is working against everyone.  While traveling light-years away from Earth, Hans Zimmer‘s emotionally fueled musical score accompanies us and practically manipulates the audiences emotions.

On a visual level, Interstellar is nothing short of a masterpiece. Shot in 7omm and 35mm film, Nolan had a specific vision for how his film should look. It helps that IMAX screens allow us to take in all the beauty that Nolan created. His video effects crew surpasses expectation with the wormhole and black hole, as well as the new planets which they’re trying to reach.

Love for our family, our species, and ourselves takes the forefront in this film. There’s a ton of talent in this film and the performances are all strong, only helping make the film and its story more effective.