BREAKING: UH announces on-campus housing scholarship

UH has announced a scholarship fund to help subsidize the cost of living on campus for 300 students, and state senator and alumnus John Whitmire has made the first donation in support of it.

“The success of the University of Houston and its students are critically important to our region,” said Whitmire regarding the Cougar Experience Scholarship. “This scholarship fund will help Dr. Khator reach the goal of encouraging more students to live on campus, which will contribute to the success of those students during an important time in their academic careers. I am proud to support that effort by kicking off the scholarship campaign with its first gift.”

Whitmire previously did not support a mandatory on-campus living requirement that was proposed by the Student Government Association. The requirement was shot down after a heated text message exchange between Khator and Whitmire, and a resolution in support of the housing requirement was passed by SGA. The Board of Regents has not released a response to SGA’s resolution.

To qualify for the scholarship, students must be first time in college freshmen and apply for residency in either Cougar Village I, Cougar Village II or Moody Towers. Students must also be involved in two on-campus organizations or activities specified in the application. The scholarship would provide $4,000 for on-campus housing.

Participation in undergraduate research programs, on-campus employment and on- or off-campus service organizations are also acceptable.

Students will be able to apply this spring in order to receive the scholarship in the fall of 2015.