Holiday Gift Guide Life + Arts

Must-see holiday movies to celebrate the season

happyEnding

Courtesy of Cat in the Hat Productions

‘Tis the holidays, and if one is searching for a nice break in between shopping and spending a quiet day with family, there are holiday movies to keep one occupied. Here are five movies to enjoy with the family:

“Bad Santa”

Starring Billy Bob Thornton and the late Bernie Mac, this dark comedy is definitely not for the kids. However, grown-ups can get a laugh out of Thornton’s portrayal of a con-man in a Santa suit.  Despite Willie’s (Thornton) cold heart and sneaky motives, the movie does contain warmth and the feels.

“The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”

Watch the 1966 animated short, not the live-version Jim Carrey remake. The cartoon has Dr. Seuss’s rhymes, which is really the big winner out of this story. For if it weren’t for Dr. Seuss, there would be no Grinch to steal Christmas.

“Home Alone”

Macaulay Culkin stars as 8-year-old Kevin, a boy left behind by his family. The film also co-stars Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern as the neighborhood thieves. Watch Kevin live the dream of a kid being free, eating and sleeping whenever he wants. Then watch him use his childish wits to fight back against the crooks.

“It’s a Wonderful Life”

Starring James Stewart, the film is of a man who wanted to end it all, only to have an angel show him how life what life would be like had he never existed.  The film is a classic in that it reminds folks of the simple things in life, regardless of how bad things can be, it could be worse.

“A Christmas Story”

He writes an essay about it, he asked Santa at the mall, but all the replies he received are: “You’ll shoot your eye out!” Those are the words little Ralphie hears throughout the movie when he asks for a Red Ryder B. B. gun.  Does Ralphie eventually get his Christmas wish? Who knows. TBS will begin a marathon of the classic 1983 movie at 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve, and run for 24 hours straight. There will be time to find out.