Gibbs to seek new opportunities after bowl win

Houston Athletics announced Monday that UH’s interim head coach and defensive coordinator David Gibbs is currently pursuing other coaching opportunities after two seasons with the Cougars.

Gibbs led the Cougars to nationally acclaimed defensive performances in Houston’s two most recent seasons and led the Cougars to a 35-34 victory over the Pittsburg Panthers in the 2015 Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my two seasons at Houston and appreciate the efforts of our student athletes, especially that of the Third Ward Defense,” Gibbs said in a press release. “While we’ve had positive discussions with Tom Herman and a great opportunity at UH, my family and I feel it is time for a new challenge and are looking forward to the next steps in our journey. I’d like to thank Mack Rhoades for his trust in naming me interim head coach during my time at Houston.”

With the absence of Gibbs as defensive coordinator, incoming Houston head coach Tom Herman selected Utah State defensive coordinator Todd Orlando to fill the void, which was announced by UH Athletics Monday evening.

The Utah State defense reached the national rank of 12th in scoring defense in 2014 with 19.7 points per game and seventh in 2013 with 17.1 points per game.

Orlando brings many promising figures to UH as his defense this past season at Utah State totaled 49 sacks on the year, putting them in fourth nationally, as well as 114 tackles for loss to reach the rank of second.

“When you look at the success Utah State has had defensively over the last two seasons, we are excited to add Todd Orlando as our defensive coordinator,” said Herman in a release. “His defensive style is both aggressive, as evident by the sacks and tackles for loss number, and opportunistic, ranking among the nation’s best in turnovers.”

In addition to Orlando, Herman also brought in Craig Naivar as assistant head coach, co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach, Jason Washington as special teams coordinator and cornerbacks coach and Drew Mehringer as wide receivers coach. Corby Meekins was named tight ends coach, according to an announcement by UH Athletics Monday evening.

• Some of the Players are upset about Coaches leaving which is understandable. They are young. You never know what’s in store, the next group of coahces maybe the best thing to ever happen to you. Thinks happen for a reason… With that said…

I’m impressed with Herman so Far… I think we will all be pleased based off facts. Levine did not give us facts. Levine gave us an experiment. The only thing we do not know for sure is if Hermann will be a Good Leader.

What we know:
    Tom Hermann – Can Run an Offense
    Todd Orlando – Can Run a Defense, Kids will want to play for him… youtu.be/Jzb9zHIypEA
    Major Applewhite – Can Run an Offense

Previous Coaches:
    Tony Levine- Experiment
    Travis Bush- Who is he? Resume?
    David Gibbs- Can Run a Defense

Hermann will leave after 2-3 Years. We should always expect that due to the Conf. situation. UH also needs better Marketing. We need UH signs, giveaways, ETC… to draw fans. 75% of UT and A&M Fans did not attend the school… The Brand is everything.