Applewhite joins Herman’s Cougars as offensive coordinator

UH Athletics announced on Thursday that the former offensive coordinator at the University of Texas, Major Applewhite, will be coming to Houston as the sixth member of head coach Tom Herman’s staff.

Applewhite has spent 12 years as a coach on high-caliber teams, six years of which he served as an OC, and led them to nine bowl games. Applewhite has been a part of three BCS bowl game appearances, including the 2010 BCS National Championship, and makes the move from UT after seven years.

“Major has always been innovative on the football field with a focus on an explosive offense, both as a coach and player,” said Herman in a release. “He is bright and has been on an elevated level in our profession beginning early in his career. Along with his offensive background, he is very well respected in the state of Texas, which will provide benefits on the recruiting trail.”

Applewhite will be the team’s quarterbacks coach in addition to offensive coordinator. He joins the recently announced Todd Orlando (defensive coordinator and linebackers coach), Craig Naivar (assistant head coach, co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach), Jason Washington (special teams coordinator and cornerbacks coach), Drew Mehringer (wide receivers coach) and Corby Meekins (tight ends coach).