Administration News

UH hires lobbyist as external adviser

UH has hired lobbyist Robert Miller as an external adviser for the UH Political Action Committee.

Texas forbids schools from utilizing state funds to lobby the Legislature. However, many schools have hired outside lobbyists which enables them to utilize donor money.

“It doesn’t mean a state agency can’t lobby; it means you can’t take state-appropriated money and use it for lobbying,” said Buck Wood, an Austin attorney who specializes in ethics and election law, told the Houston Chronicle.

Miller is being paid an estimated $96,500 as part of a “legislative session-only” contract.

“The decision was made to make sure we had appropriate legislative coverage in Austin for the session,” UH said in a statement to the Houston Chronicle. “This is not out of the ordinary, as many universities and institutions of higher education currently employ external advisers, as well.”

Miller will join Jason Smith, UH’s vice president for governmental and community relations, and Darrin Hall, UH’s liaison for local and federal priorities.

• Wait! This is illegal. WTF? This article says you can’t use State funds but then says they are paying with state funds. Why all the scandal at my school man?

• “However, many schools have hired outside lobbyists which enables them to utilize donor money.”

Dude, there are like eight sentences in the whole damn article. I know we’re all up on Haston’s nuts trying to impeach the entire administration but not everything’s a scandal.

• Almost $100,000??? I thought that is what out President did for us. So we have 3 people doing all this political stuff? Oh no! Why do they have to do shady stuff. Guess we will be all over the news soon 🙁

• There used to be a student, Tim Obrien, who used to keep the President in check. He used to protest how she lived it up on UH money, like a real 1percenter , he died and ever since no one calls her on anything. She has Sheila Jackson in her pocket because she is her husbands boss (Dr.Lee). She has her finance guy change the university rules for her. She is the 4th highest paid president etc,etc No one has balls since Tim Obrien died. Rules don’t apply there. Just do like me and quietly get your degree, move on, and let them get rich off of UH. Fight it and you end up kicked out of school.

• This person is being hired for the UH Political Action Committee, a non-University entity funded through alumni and community donations (http://uhpac.com/). The article’s a little misleading in its headline, but it’s not like the Cougar exists on an enlightened level about clickbait.

• I agree not everything is a scandal but it looks like what Johnnyhabib posted is pretty scandalous. Hiring a congress woman’s husband? I checked out what he says and it does look like some of the university rules did get changed. I also found some of that kid Tim Obriens stuff is still out there on the Cougar and it had to do with scandal and cover ups then too. Here is the article because words live on… https://thedailycougar.com/2009/02/03/examples-needed-amidst-crisis/
    I hope I don’t get kicked out for posting this!

• For the record, Dr. Elwin Lee was here long before President Khator. In fact, she actually took a big political risk by demoting him…