Life + Arts Music

Skizzy Mars impresses with “The Red Balloon Project”

Small-time artist Skizzy Mars leaves a notable impression with “The Red Balloon Project.”

While the public loves the Nicki Minajs of the world, artists like Mars breathe life into the new age of hip-hop.

Similar to Drake’s “So Far Gone” with the combination of originality, first impression, hip-hop and R&B, “The Red Balloon Project” delivers on every track. From beginning to the end, each song has a concept.

Being organized and focused on the topic, Mars does not have his lyrical ideas scattered all over the song, which is something that usually leads to a repetition of the same lyrics. His lyric rhythm varies from track to track as well.

Mars promotes a positive image of women not seen in hip-hop singles that reach the top of Billboard’s Hot 100.

Songs such as “Be Lazy,” “Do You There” and “Time” fall within the progressive hip-hop movement of settling with one woman and cherishing her.

This same concept is reflected with artists such as Drake, Kanye West and Big Sean.

“The Red Balloon Project” does not sound like an album saturated with tracks that were forced in to satisfy the label, rather than the artist.

A combination of rapping and singing, along with stretching his words, create a hybrid between the two and sets Mars apart from every other rapper in the industry.

Even though he is capable of singing and rapping, his featured artists still include R&B singer Marc E. Bassy and Phoebe Ryan, showing a humble belief that Mars cannot do everything on his own.

Not many artists have an entrance like Mars has. His introduction to mainstream is impressive and gratifying.